Electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys just curious how many power strips everyone uses. Behind my 125g I only have a standard 2 plug outlet and I've filled 2 bars already and need more outlets any ideas out there?

Guys just curious how many power strips everyone uses. Behind my 125g I only have a standard 2 plug outlet and I've filled 2 bars already and need more outlets any ideas out there?

Why so many? If you really need more then plug another power strip into a power strip and if the outlet does get to overloaded then it will trip in the breaker box

Why so many? If you really need more then plug another power strip into a power strip and if the outlet does get to overloaded then it will trip in the breaker box

That's pretty common, especially in saltwater tanks.

Personally, I use 3 different strips just to make my life easier. I have 1 controlling just my powerheads and water pump so i can turn off all of those during feeding. Another I have for the devices I want on constantly such as the heater and ATO; I also plug the other power strips in here. The third is for my lights and has a built in timer.

Is it really safe to plug a strip into another strip? I have so many because of my lights ( will remedy as soon as funds allow) I have 2-30" coralife ho t5 fixtures both of those have 6 plugs alone! I just don't want to burn my house down or flood because the breaker tripped while I'm at work and my sump overflows

Is it really safe to plug a strip into another strip? I have so many because of my lights ( will remedy as soon as funds allow) I have 2-30" coralife ho t5 fixtures both of those have 6 plugs alone! I just don't want to burn my house down or flood because the breaker tripped while I'm at work and my sump overflows

When was your house built?

It was built in 80'

Your safe. That's when everything began to be built right. Mine was built in the 40s and I'm safe to run this much well not 3 strips but I run 2 on a single outlet with no problems

The number of strips is unimportant. How they are isolated from any water is important. And if at all possible, install a GFI outlet for your fish tank. It could save your life.

Add up the wattage. I wouldn't have more than 1500 watts on any one strip. Daisy chain all you want, it just can't add up to more than the last strip can handle. A 20 amp home circuit will deliver just over 2000 watts.

Mebbid how do you use 3 strips? Do you plug a 3rd into another? No issues?

Strip 1 - ATO, Heater, Strip 2, and Strip 3
Strip 2 - Refugium water pump, 2x powerheads, 2x refugium lights
Strip 3 - Display lights on timers

I have like 5 strips right now and I have a 4 outlet GFI that plugs into the wall outlet. Everything is mounted up and away from the sump.

You also need to test your sump level to simulate a power outage.

I have 2 points I had a little problem the other day my skimmer cup wasn't on tight enough and water ran out of the skimmer straight into a power point we had an rcd installed 2 years ago after I got electrocuted from a light socket but it still didn't go off this was the outcome ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392122731.314942.jpg

I have 2 points I had a little problem the other day my skimmer cup wasn't on tight enough and water ran out of the skimmer straight into a power point we had an rcd installed 2 years ago after I got electrocuted from a light socket but it still didn't go off this was the outcome View attachment 222033

is an rcd like gfi? Ground fault interrupter, I installed them on all my outlets that feed my reef. They may not work on every type of short but it is still an added layer of protection. I also have 3 inexpensive water detectors behind my stand and in my cabinet, they beep like a fire alarm if just the smallest amount of water is detected, have caught issues many times before they became problems. Also lets not forget to check your GFI's on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom