Elongatus id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
This was sold to me as some sort unknown elongatus. When it was I. Other tank he/she was low man and always drab dark black color and now it's a top ranker and gets light gray/blue and black with that stripe on dorsal. Pics stink sorry. Any ideas appreciated and I will try and get pics with a real camera when I get it back.

Attachments

• image-2429674982.jpg
    image-2429674982.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3091047457.jpg
    image-3091047457.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1859786653.jpg
    image-1859786653.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 68
Hi Erik, saw one just like yours in a book and it is named Pseudotropheus elongatus ( var ) Can't be positive but if you research the name you may agree that it's the same species :)

Hi Erik, saw one just like yours in a book and it is named Pseudotropheus elongatus ( var ) Can't be positive but if you research the name you may agree that it's the same species :)

Thanks. It def has that pseudo sp elongatus body BUT there are like 35 variants of elongatus and I can't seem to figure out which it is. It really doesn't have any blue on it like most do.

I guess that's why they put ( var ). There were 2 photos in this book. One of then was blue and the other yellow. No doubt they come in a huge range of colours.

I guess that's why they put ( var ). There were 2 photos in this book. One of then was blue and the other yellow. No doubt they come in a huge range of colours.

I've been liking for weeks and yet to find one like mine. Thanks for the help.

Well I wasn't much help :-/ Anyway maybe you could have a new variety...Pseudotropheus elongatus var Eriki :)

I like it! Has nice ring to it! And I appreciated your input I hope you didn't take it as if I didn't! Glad for any help! That's why I love this forum!

Haha..No, I didn't :) Me too...I enjoy all the different topics. I admit I don't know much about Africans and you probably knew already what I said...hahaaa but I enjoy looking up fish (especially cichlids) no matter what species they are. I would love to get the cichlids atlas because my book is a little outdated (1985) but at $100 I think I will put the money into my tanks first. When you get your camera back maybe you can take some clearer photos of your Eriki :)

Back
Top Bottom