Emergancy help please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long will fish survive without filters, heaters and air stones???

We lost power about 1 hour ago and my battery backup is a pos and may only last another 30 mins... Am I screwed??

Here's what I would do: Stop feeding until the power comes back on and stir up the water with a spoon every once in awhile. If you can buy more batteries for your backups that would be great, but your fish should be able to survive for at least a day but probably longer.

Edit: Also, if your water still works you can always do a water change if your power isn't back on soon.

Thank you, that's very helpful... Our water does work do I could do a water change... And stirring the water should help... I'm hoping this doesn't last as long as the last time...

Power company "says" that power will be restored between 4pm-9pm... I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens... I'm not really thrilled with my power company anyway. Most of their equipment needs serious upgrades :(

I was out 2 days ago for 9 hours and no problems. 75 with angels silver dollars and clown loaches
29 with shellys
Temp didnt realy drop

You'd be amazed at how long it will take for your temp to drop. But if your worries about it iv heard of ppl wrapping there tanks in blankets. Also I agree with th stirring of the water idea. If the water movment drasticly goes down (which is all the air stones do for the most part) for only a day or so its not ganna have a serious impact on your fish. Also if you need to feed your fish do it incredibly sparingly and try to net out the uneaten food. All in all as long as your not out of power for days I think your fish will be just fine. Maybe a little confussed though. Lol good luck.

You should be fine. I would say stop feeding and do a water change. Stirring up the water is a great idea. My 5 gallon lasted more than 24 hours without power, so you should be fine. That's the great thing about FW.....short power outage? No prob. For saltwater: Short Power outage? Dead fish.

I appreciate everyone's advice and assistance... The power did come back on a short while ago... Fed everyone and let them get some sleep.

Thanks again for helping me not freak out so much :) night all

Back
Top Bottom