Emergency!!! Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FYI, I had them in quarantine for a week, but I could not stabilize the environment ... I introduced LS, Ammo-Block, Primer and I did 30% H2O changes daily in an effort to reduce toxin levels, but the fish were getting very sick and not eating. Nitrate, ammonia and (to some extent) nitrite levels were high and pH consistently dropped.

I have since placed them back into the DT with a limited coral (dead) compliment and 60 lbs of black sand in a micron bag. They are doing well and the only thing that continues to be high is the Nitrate (80 ppm). I am now medicating the DT for Ich and I am doing 20% daily H2O changes, coupled with the addition of Prime and Buffer. I know that this is not preferred, but the Tusk, Angel and Trigger would not have made it another day in the QT tanks.

Q: will the medication (Rid-Ich+) damage the bio or have any lasting effects on the system?

Balrog said:
Q: will the medication (Rid-Ich+) damage the bio or have any lasting effects on the system?
It should not affect the bacterial process but you may have future problems with inverts and corals. Make sure once everything is cleared up you run carbon and do several water changes. If possible a >>poly filter<< would be best.

I hope everything works out..
10.gif

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Thanks, again, for all of the help and advise. FYI, the fish are all looking good and appear healthy, but the puffer is still ridden with white spots (2 weeks into treatment). The medication bottle indicates that I should remove active carbon (I put a polyester pond filter in its place from my LFS) to maximize its effect. I'm assuming that is not the same as the "poly filter" that you provided me the link to??? ... if it is, then I'm likely counteracting the meds.

The medication (Rid-Ick+) also says that a protein skimmer drastically reduces the medicine's effectiveness and I have been hesitant to turn it off, as I do not know what affect it will have on the tank. If I minimize the regulator/flow into the skimmer, will that mess up the bio (over a 2-3 week period)?

Enjoy the long weekend...

Mike

Glad everything is working for the most part.

I would actually follow the directions as closely as possible. I am not familiar with the "pond" filter pad but if it's just a simple floss filter insert, it should be fine. Just make sure it does not get full of detritus. If you are not sure of it's properties, remove it. The skimmer should also be shut down or at least remove the air injector source and keep using it to help with water turnover. You could also add an extra PH at the water surface to help with oxygenation.

The easiest way to remove surface "sludge" is with a brine shrimp net. They are very fine and will skim the surface very effectively and help with the water quality some. Since you must do a 25% water change prior to each redose, that should also help.

Since you have been at this for two weeks(?), I suspect you may not have been dosing the med properly and may need to redo your treatment. >>Here<< is a step by step instruction on using the product. See if there is anything you may have missed :?:

Good Luck!!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom