Endler's Livebearer- improved Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For your convenience, please use the following template for submitting a profile on your favorite fish.

Submitted by ExoticAquarist

Endler's livebearer, Poecilia wingei

Common Names: Endler, Endler guppy

Category: Livebearer

Family: Poecilia

Origin: Venezuela

Main Ecosystem: Rivers and streams

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Peaceful

Diet: Omnivore

Care: Floating plant cover should be added so the fry can hide

pH: 5.5-8.0

Tempurature: 64-84*F

Hardness: 10-32

Potential size: Males grow to about 1 inch, but females grow about a half inch bigger

Water Region: Top

Activity: Diurnal

Lifespan: 4 years

Color: Green, blue, yellow, black, orange, red, purple

Mouth: Upturned

Sexing: Males smaller, more colorful, posses a gonopodium. Females gray, larger.

Acclimation: Float bag in water for 20 mins. Replace a cupful of bag water with a cupful of tank water at 5 min. Intervals for 30 mins.

Breeding: Just leave males and females

Very hardy and easy to keep, but they are good jumpers, so have a good lid.

Sources:

Wikipedia, LiveAquaria.com, TheEndlerShop.com, LFS advice, personal experience.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423092372.922563.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423092411.594392.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423092444.270474.jpg

Photographs used for education. Copyright infringement not intended. If you do not like your picture on this forum, contact a moderator to remove this post.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Just leave males and females together oops.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I have had them in near brackish conditions before. They lived a good full life but do best in freshwater. They are extremely hardy so a wide variety of conditions is perfectly fine ime.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I've seen videos of wild ones in streams. I guess they could live in mangrove bogs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well, to be honest all kinds of poecilia wingei are originally endemic to certain lagoons and ponds. But some branches of rivers are also natural habitats to them. But those fish concerns most of the times poecilia reticulata and a slight chance that they're mixed with some blood of a nearby poecilia wingei population.

And something was mentioned overhere about brackish water. Some branches tend to be some brackish, so you're right Cold Canadian. Some endlers and like some wildguppies as well are kept in slightly brackish water at my place. All other endlers are kept in freshwater. They do perfectly well in both types of water.

About the size they'll be able to reach. Have to put a correction on what's been described above. Males can reach a size of about an inch till 1.6 inches. This is able for both N- and K-class endlers. Females can reach even the same size as a female guppy. Because most of the times that you'll see smaller female endlers is caused by the fact that they get pregnant at a young age and so the growth potential will go to the development of the new offspring instead to the body length of the female.

Most of my tanks are open tanks. So, there's no canopy on top of them. Every fish is able to jump out of the tank. But that hardly happens overhere.

And not all endler strains are easy to keep or even easy to breed. There are some which have a difficulty level.

There's a huge variety of hybrid strains but also a considrable amount of wild strains available. Despite of the fact that it's been told that the endemic waters have hardly endler strains left; I do doubt that. I'm even convinced that there are more strains outthere left undiscovered yet.

I'm keeping wildguppies and wildtype guppies over 40 years now. And endlers for almost 11 years now. At this point I have 30 different strains of endlers overhere. Have also observed endlers and wildguppies just like other kinds of fish in their natural habitats in the past. I'm also a judge at endler (both wild- and hybridstrains) and wildguppy championships in both the Netherlands and in Germany.

I do appreciate it that some more endler fans are members overhere. If you'd like to discuss more about endler topics ExoticAquarist on this forum, I'll gladly join you.

Have a great remaining of your evening,
"S"

Overhere some pics of N-class endlers...

It shows males of the light blue top sword, el tigre, orchid and blue star endlers.

Attachments

• fish stan ea4 054.jpg
    fish stan ea4 054.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 391
  • fish stan ea1 044.jpg
    fish stan ea1 044.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 273
  • fish stan ea1 091.jpg
    fish stan ea1 091.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 237
  • bs29.JPG
    bs29.JPG