Enough lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
The only lighting i can find that will fit my 30" inch tank has 2 65w bulbs. the tank is 36g, so there would be just alittle under 4wpg. i want to eventually get an anemone and maybe a few corals, would this be enough lighting?

That will be enough for the lower light corals and if you put the medium light corals toward the top of the tank you can keep them aswell. Why not build you own canopy and purchase a retro kit to install into it? Then you can customize your lighting to fit your needs much better. A 30" tank would be good for a single metal halide bulb and maybe a single florecent actinic to supplment. Does your tank have a center brace?

yes, the tank does have a center brace, and i was and im a little worried about that, do you think it would make a very noticeable shadow in the tank?

with a center brace a single MH is not an option. You would need two MH on either side of the brace to cancel out any shadow. That would not be effecent on such a small tank so I would say VHO, T-5 or PC bulbs would be your best lighting alterntiive. You wont get a shadow from either of these.

I cant decide on what brand to get. i found an orbit and satelite set that are both the same except the orbit has 2 lunar lights and the satelite has 1. does anyone have experience with these two brands? whcih one would you reccomend?

They are both made by current usa. With the exception of the housing and lunar light count they are the same fixture. I would check out the coralife aqualight lunar. After many recommendations on this board mine is soon to come.

Go with the coralife lunar aqualight. It is made much better than the Current USA and is more reliable as well.

ok ill probably go with the coralife then, thats what i wanted, but couldnt find the 30" with lunar lights on captivereefs, could you give me a link to it? TIA

why don't you do what I did and get 2 fixtures, one for the front of the tank and one for the back, that'll be 4x65w

i might do that eventually but i dont want to spend that money just yet. captivereefs, ive been looking, and i cant find any 30" coralife with lunar lights or actinic lights, do you have any that have both of these?

i can special order the 30" lunar aqualight. I wil shoot PM with pricing in a bit.

Does the coralife lunar aqualight also have actinic lighting? Also, how much would it cost?

Back
Top Bottom