entering into week 3 of cycling is all ok ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank cycled in three weeks with cured liverock. I have a 120 and only have 50 pds of liverock. It looks and sounds like your tank is coming around nicely.
I'm a newbie and have read several articles on how to cycle and what not to use. I didn't go with the shrimp method, not with the fish method. I just put cured liverock in a beginning.
Just add your fish slowly over time and don't stress your bio load.

In the absence of other filtration (cannister, hob, wet/dry) a tank requires 1 - 2 pounds of porous rock per gallon of tank capacity to house the bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate.

If you never add fish you can use much less rock. However, the fact that the rock was fully cured and the EMPTY (of livestock) tank appears to have cycled does NOT mean that you have a sufficient population of bacteria to handle the bioload once you start adding fish.

As the bioload increases there will not be any additional surface area for the bacteria to colonize. That will cause a build up of ammonia in your tank and lead to MFD (mysterious fish death/disappearance).

So, 50 pounds of LR in a 120g tank just won't cut it unless you have some other method of filtration working for you.

You could also do daily 10% water changes and keep the tank lightly stocked (2 -3 medium sized fish).

Yes this is Thomsona's thread not mine. I just happened to be telling him my 120 cycled with just cured lr. I do have a wet dry sump also. So yes, I have read about plenty of tanks cycleing wo a ton of liverock. I actually know someone personaly that has a 120 Thom that has never did any water changes in the past two years because of the great filtration his tank does.
Good luck on your tank.

Back
Top Bottom