Excel-thread algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I have a tank that I made some big boo boos with. I have been trying to get rid of a minor algae bloom as well as kill of my pesky thread algae problem. I've been dosing what I would consider a lot of excel daily(6 caps a day for a 29 gallon) and it has been making a small dent in the other algae...although not the huge die off I've had in the past with half that dosage, and not difference at all in the thread algae. Where do I go from here?

For thread algae, I would:
1. Physically remove as much as possible using tweezers, your hands, or a clean, unused tooth brush.
2. Reduce the lighting
3. Instead of pouring in the Excel, get a syringe and spot treat the affected areas. Shut off the filter and pumps for 15-20 minutes during treatment. It allows you to maximize and concentrate the amount of Excel used. Think of spot treating laundry stains.

I second the advice above.
Watch your tank at different intervals of the day too. I had one that kept having algae in the same spot although the window was across the room. Low and behold late in the day there was just a slim beam of light between that cake through everyday beaming directly on that spot.

You are overdosing so much. I hope you don't have shrimps or any small fish.

Back
Top Bottom