Fancy goldfish has swim bladder problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbeginner66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Over the last few days I thought my goldfish wasn't swimming quite properly, but this morning it's showing signs of a definite swim bladder problem (floating upside down and generally cannot swim properly). Checked the water and it is fine, tried feeding a pea but it won't eat it!! It either just won't eat it or it can't find it. I'm at a loss of what to do now :( As it's a fancy could it be genetic?

Hi! We really need some more info in order to be able to help! Tank size? Water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? Testing with liquid or strips? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? Diet (type food, brand, other foods)? Any other symtpoms (discoloration, fuzz, red streaking in fins or body, bloated/swollen, strange poop, etc)? Fancies are prone to buoyancy issues due to their conformation but water quality & diet are the largest factors influencing them. These need to be addressed first before considering a physical issue.

Thanks for you reply-

I've only had the fish about a month.

Tank size is only a 4 gallon at the moment (I was sold 1 too small but have bought a bigger 1 that is now cycling)

Liquid test kit-
Ammonia- 0
Nitries- 0
Nitrates- 10-15ppm
ph- 8 (a little high I think?)

As it's in the small tank at the moment I'm doing a 10-20% water change every other day or every day if the ammonia gets to .25

Diet is 'aqua one' fish flakes. I only give 2-3 flakes once a day as it's still a very small fish.

And no other symptoms :( Just floating around upside down and still won't eat the pea! Is he in pain does anyone know? :(

Ikes...thats quite a small tank. I honestly would do a 100% water change (or two) on the bigger tank & move the filter from the small tank to the large tank & move your guy over now. Run the filters together for atleast a month. Ok, toss the flakes to start. I would suggest switching him over to gelfood diet immediately in addition to daily plain cooked veggies. For the next couple of days, try offering him only plain cooked veggies & some occasional fruits. You can also offer some brine shrimp (defrosted) which has a laxative effect as well. Broccoli florets (flower part), bits spinach & deshelled peas are good starters. Bits of fruit can be tried such as oranges or bits of berry. You can also try adding 1 level tsp of epsom salts per 5g of water gradually over a 24hr period (predissolve in cup tank water). When you do a water change, only add back what you remove (ie, 50%wc, add back 1/2 original dose predissolved). Heres alink to gelfood recipes: Gel Food Recipes

I would hope that the new tank is at least 20gallons in size.

What size is it?

Jon

It is 16 gallons.

This is going to sound awful but when I got the goldfish I had no idea it would be so much work. The shop didn't tell me how to look after him properly at all or even tell me about checking water conditions, and I honestly don't have time to keep up the diet that you just suggested. At a complete loss of what to do.

My problem at the moment is I've tried peas and he won't eat them! I don't know whether it's because he doesn't want to or he actually can't find/see them cause he's upside down! tried holding them near his mouth and nothing.

Try cooked broccoli florets & hold them in front of him- broccoli has a much stronger smell & goldfish (under normal circumstances) find it irresistable. And be patient.

Ok thank you. I read on a couple of sites fasting for a couple of days is a good idea too, is this true?

Fasting can sometimes help depending on the cause but I find offering foods that will help move the digestive tract along more efficiently is sometimes a better option (veggies & brine shrimp). This doesnt mean let the fish gorge himself on these foods but just offer a few tiny meals over the course of a day. Removing the offending foods (flakes) from his diet is a good first step as well as moving him to the bigger tank. Adding the epsom salts also acts as a laxative to further help move things along in the digestive tract if this is the source of his issues.

This might sound ridiculous but when I put the peas in it sinks obviously, and my gravel is multi coloured so it just blends in. Would this be a problem with him finding the pea or would he sniff it out?

I got some epsom salt and broccoli today so will see if that helps. If I try peas again do they have to be cooked? I've read many different online suggestions from frozen to thawed to cooked!

Microwave any veggie for a few mins until its soft & let it cool before feeding. No one wants to eat frozen foods, including fish. Peas need to be cooked, deshelled before feeding & smooshed.

Great thanks, fingers crossed something works and he starts eating soon. Would cucumber be any good?

You can try zucchini or cuke but no guarentee he will eat it. Since he has never been offered veggies before, it may take a bit before he realizes they are something tasty to eat. Starting with stronger smelling veggies will help transition him to trying them & eating them. :)

yeah he's not taking the broccoli off me either, should I just put some in the tank? If so how much? Obviously bits of it are coming off and floating around but he's making no effort to eat them. Either that or he just can't get his body over to where they are because he has no control over it!

He died :( Which suggests there was some serious problem going on there! I'd put him in the bigger tank as well, and water was much the same as yesterday. I noticed he had a stringy white poo coming out, so I'm guessing that's something to do with it. Wish I found out what was wrong quicker so I could have done more :/

I am sorry to hear this. Finish cycling the 16g and do your research on what you would like to stock it with. If we can be of further help, just ask!

Back
Top Bottom