Feeder fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCUnderwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
LFS told me to do this with about 20. As I read more and more about it, it's not recommended. I don't care to hear about how harmful it is. Just wondering the proper steps or what I should do after I've already started

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish In Tank Cycling

LFS told me to do this with about 20. As I read more and more about it, it's not recommended. I don't care to hear about how harmful it is. Just wondering the proper steps or what I should do after I've already started

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello MC...

Feeder fish are fine to cycle a tank. I did it with feeder female Guppies about 10 years ago with my first tank and the fish were fine. I used 8 or so in a 30 gallon tank. If you closely monitor the tank water by using a liquid test kit that tests for ammonia and nitrite, you're ready. Just set up the tank and add some stems of Hornwort. Add the fish, 3 or 4 for every 10 gallons of water. Test the water every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite and if you have a positive test, remove and replace 25 percent of the water with new, treated tap water. This will keep the water safer for the fish and allow the growth of the bacteria colony whose job it will be to use the ammonia and nitrite.

Just test daily and remove and replace the water when needed. In about a month, there will be no traces of the above forms of nitrogen when you test. The tank is cycled. Then, to keep the water clear of wastes, you remove and replace half the water every week for as long as the tank runs.

Easy enough,

B

Feeder goldfish??nah.. nothing harmful there... just firing up a petri dish for a show tank...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those feeder goldfish will get pretty big, and considering you have 20 of them you better start looking for people who want big fish. You'll just need to monitor the water until you have everything under control.

Nils

Back
Top Bottom