Feeding my new pleco(w/ chubby platys)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I brought home a small sailfin plecostomus a couple days ago, about 3 inches long. I bought him some algae wafers and when I fed the other fish I would drop a wafer in for him.

One problem.. my sunburst platys. As soon as I I drop a wafer in and they're done with their fishy flakes they flock to the wafer and just eat it up. My pleco hasn't had a chance to even discover the wafers because the other fish(also two gourami but they're not as big of bullies) just eat them up.

This is giving me a few different worries and I'm not quite sure what to do. The platys are relentless, I can't just scare them away because they turn right back until it's gone. Ive tried giving it before I go to bed when the platys aren't being so persistent, only issue is idk who's eaten it by the morning.

They are already too chubby and I'm worried about over feeding them, but I can't not feed my pleco either. He seems okay so far, he is sucking on lots of decor and has a round tummy. He's active and his fins are getting better(they were frayed from the pet store). I am worried though that regular tank algae won't suffice for very long.

I have an apx. 40 gallon tank with 4 platys, 2 gourami, and now my pleco.

IMG_7010.jpgIMG_7011.jpgIMG_7012.jpg

I apologize I couldn't get very good pictures. Any advice one what I could do would be great!

Thank you!

Throw it at night after the lights have been off for at least an hour, he'll get it. I have a bristlenose who shoves everyone else out of his way and promptly covers the wafer or drags it back to his driftwood. He's much less likely to do this if I'm watching or near the tank though. If yours has a full belly then he's probably eating well.

Don't worry about your Sailfin. He is feeding off the algae wafer crumbs and left over everything else. You don't want him to grow too fast anyway. Years ago my sailfin outgrew my 58 gal. tank. Had to rehome him. Yours might appreciate a little piece of driftwood to knaw on. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom