Feeling defeated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had this 36 gallon tank set up for almost a year (since August) and I had cichlids in here before then they outgrew the tank so I got 4 new cichlids (moori dolphin, yellow lab, OB peacock, and a compressiceps). First the OB peacock died 2 days after I got him from running into the glass too much. Then the moori dolphin started bullying the yellow lab and compressiceps so I put him in a fry net for a week and then let him back in and the compressiceps tore him up so I put him back in the fry net and he made a full recovery. So it was only the yellow lab and the compressiceps and they were doing great but recently the yellow lab wouldnt come out of his cave even to eat and I found him this morning dead. No ripped fins or missing scales, looks like he just died of starvation. I checked the water yesterday and it was nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ammonia-0.5 which is weird because It is cycled and has been since August. I am using the API FW master test kit so I think its pretty accurate. I put the moori dolphin back in the tank this morning and he swam right up to the compressiceps and they started doing some dance. Anyway I had 0 problems with the tank before and I had more fish. This tank is really giving me more stress than anything I need help.

Here is a video of the dancing. They were not biting at eachother at all. And I also forgot to add I did an immidiate 60% water change after I did the water test (I did water test before fish died).

Well Im not sure if anyone is looking at this thread but I came home to this poor guy all beat up so I put the compricceps in the fry basket. I dont think a 15 yearold is supposed to be this stressed...

image-4021377350.jpg
The compricceps in the fry net.

image-1400352246.jpg

Attachments

• image-2814251268.jpg
    image-2814251268.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3761562944.jpg
    image-3761562944.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 140
This outcome is going to be the same over and over again I'm afraid to say, a small tank with aggressive fish is a recipe for disaster. In the video you can clearly see the fish have been lip locking(their lips are white) trying to decide which one will be dominant, with no place to run in a small tank the fish will be potenially bullied to death as a result of a attack or simply due to stress. I'd recommend rehoming the fish and spending a little time researching an appropriate stock list for a 36g tank.

Last edited:
This outcome is going to be the same over and over again I'm afraid to say, a small tank with aggressive fish a recipe for disaster. In the video you can clearly see the fish have been lip locking(their lips are white) trying to decide which one will be dominant, with no place to run in a small tank the fish will be bullied to death as a result of a attack or simply stress. I'd recommend rehoming the fish and spending a little time researching an appropriate stock list for a 36g tank.

Well I successfully kept
1xSunshine peacock
1xFire fish
1xAlbino taiwan reef
1xElectric blue ali
1xVenustus
1xAlbino strawberry peacock
Without a problem they just outgrew the tank. There are hiding spots in the tank. The moori doplhin is the only fish that had those white lips.

As has been stated previously your stocking choice is not ideal for the size tank you have. If I were you I would keep a group of shell dwellers and some small colorful tetras. I have even kept guppies with a group of sp. sunspot brevis. They are not the flashiest but their behavior is pretty cool.

The other thing I noticed here is that you state your Nitrate levels are Zero.I find this extremely hard to believe.In a fully cycled tank I would expect to see some sort of reading.
You could probably get away wit a few Yellow Labs in your tank but a Compressiceps and a Moori oh my they need a 125 gallon at least in my opinion.
Why don't you try keeping Kribensis,Rams or Apistogrammas.They are much better suited to your tank.

If you have the API kit are you vigorously shaking the second nitrate test bottle? If it settles from sitting and you pour it in the vile without agitating it you will get an innacurate reading, which is almost always 0.

+1 on the kribs or apistos def awesome looking cichlids and there small enough for your tank you can even check out Bolivian rams.

What are these guys called? Are they crazy expensive and could I keep them with german blu rams?

Attachments

• image-3219610859.jpg
    image-3219610859.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3188257259.jpg
    image-3188257259.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 79
If you have the API kit are you vigorously shaking the second nitrate test bottle? If it settles from sitting and you pour it in the vile without agitating it you will get an innacurate reading, which is almost always 0.

Oh I havent! I will do that and test again today when I get home. Thanks!

What are these guys called? Are they crazy expensive and could I keep them with german blu rams?

First is an apistogramma calcotoied (mau have spells that wrong) second is a kribenses sometimes the apistos are kinda pricey the kribs usually aren't(at least where I live in Fl)

Oh I havent! I will do that and test again today when I get home. Thanks!

I guarantee that's your problem. When you pour the first solution. Just flip the vile up and down to mix it. Then shake the hell out of the second solution for about a minute and add those drops and shake the crap out of the vile and you should get the correct reading.

First is an apistogramma calcotoied (mau have spells that wrong) second is a kribenses sometimes the apistos are kinda pricey the kribs usually aren't(at least where I live in Fl)

Im also in FL and what kind of decor do aspistos and kribs like? I have limestone in my tank now. Ill post a pic later.

Im also in FL and what kind of decor do aspistos and kribs like? I have limestone in my tank now. Ill post a pic later.

As long as they have plenty of hiding spots they will be happy apistos do well with plants. I've heard mixed things about kribs and plants its hit and miss. the kribs are mild mannered untill they start mating then they get territorial. Cool about bein in Florida what region I'm in central florida. If your near new Smyrna go check out mikes cichlids they will have just about any fish you want and will only tell you 100% truth no bs to just sell a fish. I'm actually taking a trip out there next week to see what his apistos look like.

As long as they have plenty of hiding spots they will be happy apistos do well with plants. I've heard mixed things about kribs and plants its hit and miss. the kribs are mild mannered untill they start mating then they get territorial. Cool about bein in Florida what region I'm in central florida. If your near new Smyrna go check out mikes cichlids they will have just about any fish you want and will only tell you 100% truth no bs to just sell a fish. I'm actually taking a trip out there next week to see what his apistos look like.

Im about 3 hours away here in Tampa. There is only one good lfs that is about an hour away called MarineWarehouse. I dont know if they have apistos and kribs I will call them later and ask.

Back
Top Bottom