female betta back-end boxy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karen.nik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my girl, she’s pretty new to me, but has become boxy in her back-end, not her in her stomach, or her female area. she’s flaring at feeding time, and seems normal, except for her boxy behind. i also noticed pale patches on either side beneath her pectoral fins. i think it’s all very odd and thought i’d ask if anyone has any experience with such conditions in a female betta. i’ve attached a drawing diagramming the condition.

Attachments

• FB99A56C-4798-4249-B9F9-71AEE93BEAC4.jpg
    FB99A56C-4798-4249-B9F9-71AEE93BEAC4.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 18
Are you referring to the "betta bump"? If so, it's common and seems to be harmless. Mine all have them and have been in fine health for years. On the other hand, fish do get tumors. Others may weigh in here with more exacting advice. If you could take a picture, that would be helpful. Attached is a pic of a betta with the ol' bump.

Attachments

• 31424-fac94d5c2be8ff7784f06829198c257e.jpg
    31424-fac94d5c2be8ff7784f06829198c257e.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 11
i see! yes, it’s kind of like that. i didn’t take a picture because it was a little challenging, hence the included illustration. i am going to rest assured that this is betta bump, a new term to me, being new to beta keeping. she seems very he healthy. thank you for your thoughts, adsnail!

You're welcome! I actually use the betta bump to determine whether they're genuinely hungry or just hanging out in the feeding spot. Sometimes there are mosquitos hatching at the waterline and bloodworms in the substrate, so they're getting live nutrition and aren't interested in pellets - sometimes for a couple days.

Then, suddenly they will be glued to the feeding spot. Are they hungry? Napping? Playing me? (I think one is playing me: he gets me to drop food, then turns tail and swishes away, leaving it for the mystery snail, whom he is clearly in love with, to come gobble up the pellets. This mystery is now the largest snail I've ever had, three times bigger than any other).

Anyway, if the betta bump is flat, it's time for food. If it's pooching out, no food until I check again, maybe in 12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom