Female Betta with Guppies/Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been wondering, I know Male Bettas can mistake Guppies and Gouramis and attack them til the death, but what about female Bettas? I was at a petsmart to pick up some food and saw some very beautiful looking female bettas they had, but I resisted from buying on impulse.

I would not recommend trying that in the tank listed in your sig. Female splendens are less aggressive than males, but they're still bettas and she'd be at risk as well. Great reason for a new 10 though. ;)

My female betta, Lucy, is a total pain in the tushie... She's really attentive to ME and will jump for food etc, however I tried her in my 29 gal and she chased and attacked anyone she saw... I was throughly disappointed, because what betta wouldn't LOVE all that swimming space!

Usually a Betta and a gourami is a big No No. That being said I've got a female Betta (the Most placid Betta I've ever seen) in a 17g with a male dwarf gourami and they are best mates!

Its all about the disposition of the fish. I have three at home they all are oppsites. One is very sweet and calm the other is spunky and overly aggressive, even when I go up to the tank she is already puffed out and ready to attack. :)
Depends on the fish and always have a back up plan if something doesn't go right.

Depends on the fish. IME my female bettas get along with my male honey gourami, but it all depends on the fish. You could try it, but always have a plan B in case it goes wrong.

The reason I said that a female betta may be at risk as well is because of the rams. I can't think of a good way to mix a betta of any type or sex with a cichlid. JMO

My Rams don't really chase other fish around, they seem to be busy chasing each other around. Although my first pair of Rams had a very aggressive female Ram, that would chase shrimp and my guppies(The Rams later died from Sudden Ram Death Syndrome), but my new two males who've been in my Tank for about havent ever fought any other fish from what i've seen.

I have a 5 Gallon tank laying around, which i'm going to eventually set up as a 2nd tank, so If i get the urge to buy a female Betta I have a backup plan.

Back
Top Bottom