Female Red Devil Cichlid Kills everything.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bohte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 year old female :devilish: red devil cichlid that eats/kills anything I put in my 55 gallon tank.

Is there anything that could possibly survive? Or would it stress my red devil out?

Sorry, but with a tank that small, it would be impossible to put anything in there as a tank mate. Your red devil has already claimed the whole tank her territory.

Amphilophus labiatus are extremely aggressive once they mature, so if the fish was alone all her life, you can expect her to remain alone for the rest of her life unfortunately...that's the case with most larger aggressive new worlds

Red devils are so overly agressive to be honest u would be better off with different cichlids after re homeing the RD. ive had a real hard time keeping them with anything

The tank size would maybe be OK if you put other fish with it from an early age but like everyone says she has claimed the whole tank so anything you add now will be killed off.

I have a 63gallon tank and have put a Jack Demspey and Green Terror in there at exactly the same time as juveniles and am hoping that it works out as I love both fish. But would never have added one later as from everything I read it very rarely works out especially with Red Devils, they are a nightmare I believe.

So all depends how much you love that fish. Whether to rehome or not.

I had to trade my Red Devil in to my LFS for that same reason. Interestingly enough my blood red parrot, JD, chocolate, pictus, gold severum, and Tiger Oscar have all been living peacefully. Unfortunetely I lost a few fish before I made the change.

Maybe a bigger heartier bottom feeder would do ok. Perhaps a Pictus Cat.

going to have to agree, If she is already killing/aggressive to other fish being put in the tank it would be very rare for anything else to be added by this time. my only sugestion would be to try a very fast schooling fish like Giant Danios. i had a super aggressive male that the GD's worked with for a while before he started eating them in the middle of the night. outside of them i wouldnt recommend paying a lot for what would likely be killed or eaten.

i would doubt that a bottom feeder (plec/cat) would work. as you know they love to dig, an would often be in each others way, never ending good for the other guy.

pic's!!! RD's are one of my fav's! haha

Grrr. Learned this two late. Got rid of a tilapia that was killing everything in my tank, still had my two Jack Dempeys, huge Plecostomys and a San Raphael Cat (armored) and added two Red Devils to the mix. On red devil died, but I don't know what caused it. Then the surviving red devil started picking on the smaller jack Dempsey. My biggest Jack Dempsey is about 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom