Fighting fish with missing tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveAndLiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I looked into my 60l tank today to notice to my horror that my male fighting fish's tail is almost completely missing. There are a few white hair like strands in place of the tail. I have looked about the tank for the missing article but it would not appear to be there.

None of my fishes appear to be aggressive, the tank currently contains:

1 male siamese fighter (missing tail....)
1 albino catfish
1 black molly
1 white molly
4 zebra danio
6 neon tetra
2 black neon tetra

Anyone know what could have happened. The fish appears to be quite pale around the gills and it's eyes seem to be very red but I can't remember whether they were before or not.

Do male fighters grow new tails?

I'm assuming you're talking about a betta? The tails can grow back, but it will take a few to several months, depending on how badly it is injured. The size of your tank in gallons is 15 gallons, if I did my conversion right. That's too small for the betta and the other fish. I've seen tetras gang up on a betta before. Maybe in a much larger tank, you could get away with tetras and a betta, but this tank is too small to allow the fish all to have their own territory, so aggressiveness could be a factor. Also, the fish could be aggressive at night, when you aren't there to watch.

I would treat the betta with an antibiotic. It will help heal his tail and it should help the eye and gill area too. I would use one or two treatments of the antibiotic (one treatment is usually 4-5 days). You'll see the tail start to heal, but it will be a while before it grows to its original length and/or color. Some good medicines are Maracyn 1 or 2, Kanaplex, Ampicillex, or TriSulfa. Don't use Melafix (or BettaFix). While this is a wonderful med for other fish, the active ingredient seems to adversely affect the betta's labyrinth organ.

sorry, i'm quite new to fish keeping... what is a betta? is it an american term or a latin name? I know my fish as a male siamese fighting fish.

betta and fighting fish are the same. I would remove your fish from that tank if you can and treat him with one of the meds An t-iasg suggested in a sperate tank.

Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, etc?

My betta also lost a large chunk of his tail during the cycle. It eventually grew back--for some reason, the new growth is a brighter red than the old.

Give him good quality water and food, and try antibiotics (but I'm not sure if they're available without a vet's prescription in the UK).

Some people have had bad experiences with Bettafix/Melafix, but I found it helpful in treating my betta. I used only half the recommended dose however.

Back
Top Bottom