fighting green alge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickeralpine

Aquarium Advice Activist
im fighting green alge its on my glass lava rocks and gravel had it for some time and thought i had it at bay with water changes and bam its coming back quick this time. any thing i can do to kill it i was over feeding and i think this is way it came back so quick but it was never totaly gone didnt mind that a little bit was there cause my ottos seem to control it and snails . please give me some tips thanks

I would stay away from algea fixing chemcials, they do more harm than good to yoru tank and can kill inverts if you have any. check for the obvious first overfeeding, direct sunlight, nigh phosphates....see if that helps..good lcuk!

lights are turned on at 1:00pm and off at 9:00 pm 8 hours i do water changes every friday 50% and it was still on the lava rocks just a little and didnt mess with it so the ottos had somthing to snack on and bam it just took off quick this time. i stoped feeding 2 times a day now no sun light at all on the tank im thinking about not haveing the lights on for couple days till is gos down its not super bad but it is getting worse day by day and i got 250 watts of light so i may keep 2 light off feed them and then black the tank out. sound like a good plan to you rich?

Why so much light? Is the tank planted? If it is not planted I would only leave a little light on and turn on the rest when you want to show the tank off.

yes rich it was going to be a planted tank but i still dont know that much about plants and ferts so i will leave the front set of lights on and the back set off im moving back to ohio at the end of may then when i set the tank up my brother (rkilling) will be able to help me with the plants . thanks for the help rich i quess ill just deal with it for now cause im taking the tank down aways when i leave . so ill just cut back the lighting for now .

Back
Top Bottom