Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello! I was just wondering what you guys think is the best brand filter. Thanks!

Are you trying to start a Fluval vs Marineland vs Ehiem vs (other brand) war here? :)

This may have to be broken down by category: Canister, HOB, Internal, Nano, etc.

For HOB filters I prefer the Fluval Aqua Clear series. Reasons: simplicity, flexible media options, performance.

HOB- Aquaclear

Canister- Eheim

Why can't we have a mature conversation about which filter we each feel is best?

I think it'll be fine.
i have limited experience with caniaters. The last one I had was a Marineland Magnum 350 (that was in the 80s). It included a micron sleeve and diatomaceous earth for super polishing the water. Could never afford an Ehiem; that was the gold standard from what I recall (though the Fluval canister series seem to have decent features).

According to the profile of Platiesareawesome (the OP) we are talking about one ten gallon tank.

Probably the best choice for that would be an aquaclear 20 HOB.

Hey platies, have you purchased another aquarium and not put it in your profile?

Depends on the size of your tank, if you're only running a small tank then you only need an internal/HOB filter. Anything over 20 gallons I'd say get a canister personally.

Canister filters:
Value for money: Rena XP Series
Performance: Eheim Pro 3 Series
All-rounder for cost and performance: Fluval 106/206/306/406/FX6

Depends on the size of your tank, if you're only running a small tank then you only need an internal/HOB filter. Anything over 20 gallons I'd say get a canister personally.

Canister filters:
Value for money: Rena XP Series
Performance: Eheim Pro 3 Series
All-rounder for cost and performance: Fluval 106/206/306/406/FX6

Another good value for money is the Eheim classic series (2213/15/17)

For a 10g tank I would say a sunsun 602b canister is my fav choice. 10g tanks often house bettas and with the force of the flow from a HOB it was shredding my bettas fins. The 602b that I replaced it with is doing a fantastic job and the spray bar breaks up the flow so that even with the higher GPH it's not strong enough to shred a betta's tail.

Overall though I would say an eheim ecco canister filter would be my choice.

This is a ten gallon tank/ Get some persepective

What are all you people telling someone to spend a hundred bucks plus on a messy canister filter when a Fluval C2 with a $3 Fluval pre-filter would work fine ????????????

What are all you people telling someone to spend a hundred bucks plus on a messy canister filter when a Fluval C2 with a $3 Fluval pre-filter would work fine ????????????

Fluval C series is still inferior to Aquaclear IMO. If anything slap a big Aquaclear on there, but really, a canister IS a better filter. Much longer contact time with the media, and usually better quality construction. Plus it's a cool thing to show off to people who aren't in the hobby when they look at your tank. "And this is the filter". "Ooh, aah". (y)

The OP never mentioned what size tank it was for. He/she asked what people thought was the best brand of filter.
By the way, I agree with your choice for a 10g, apart from the pre-fliter sponge!!......
Hello! I was just wondering what you guys think is the best brand filter. Thanks!

Fluval C series is still inferior to Aquaclear IMO. If anything slap a big Aquaclear on there, but really, a canister IS a better filter. Much longer contact time with the media, and usually better quality construction. Plus it's a cool thing to show off to people who aren't in the hobby when they look at your tank. "And this is the filter". "Ooh, aah". (y)
You always have an opinion ....... even when it is wrong. Others have told you that and you have been told by moderators to keep it down.

Fluval C series is better than AquaClear. I have both C3 & C4 and an AquaClear 50.

Fluval C series wins. AquaClear is fine ........ and best overall HOB ....... it just doesn't get your water crystal clear as does a Fluval C series HOB.

Of course, you are the one who told me crystal clear water is not important since the fish don't care.

Tell me, what language did the your fish tell you that ????? English, fishlanda, Spanish, French, Russian, ......... or something else?

Of course, you are the one who told me crystal clear water is not important since the fish don't care.

Tell me, what language did the your fish tell you that ????? English, fishlanda, Spanish, French, Russian, ......... or something else?

It depends on where the fish was raised obviously. My betta came from taiwan so he speaks mandarin. My rainbows came from southern US so they speak hillbilly. My cardinal tetras were wild caught in columbia so they speak spanish. It really is a multilingual tank.

We suggest a "messy and expensive" canister filter because they are superior to hang on back filters. The question by the op was what we think the best brand of filter was and that opinion has been delivered regardless of what you, sprinkles, myself, or anyone else thinks is wrong.

You always have an opinion ....... even when it is wrong. Others have told you that and you have been told by moderators to keep it down.

Fluval C series is better than AquaClear. I have both C3 & C4 and an AquaClear 50.

Fluval C series wins. AquaClear is fine ........ and best overall HOB ....... it just doesn't get your water crystal clear as does a Fluval C series HOB.

Aquaclear is better just because of the media versatility. I've seen the C series. They're not good filters IMO. I don't ALWAYS have an opinion, but I often do. If you think my opinion is wrong, good for you, I probably think your opinion is wrong too. The point is, my fish aren't dead so I must be doing something right.

And no, crystal clear water is not important for fish. Water polishing is not necessary.

And no, crystal clear water is not important for fish. Water polishing is not necessary.

Just curious on your thoughts/experience with this. I've always thought fish live in some muddy/dirty rives but do they do better in clearer water (not floating on air but fairly good) - or is it just for us?

Back
Top Bottom