Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious on your thoughts/experience with this. I've always thought fish live in some muddy/dirty rives but do they do better in clearer water (not floating on air but fairly good) - or is it just for us?

Some fish like turbid water more than others. For the most part fish like reasonably clear water but the more cloudy water tends to hamper vision. South american cichlids in particular like more turbid water however the cloudiness that generally occurs in aquariums is still perfectly clear for the fish we keep.

So, according to most of you guys an aqua clear or a fluvial c series for a power filter or a fluvial or an eheim for a canister is probably best, correct?

So, according to most of you guys an aqua clear or a fluvial c series for a power filter or a fluvial or an eheim for a canister is probably best, correct?
The Fluval C3 will give you a better result than the AquaClear50 for crystal clear polished water which equals the clarity of a canister filter. I have both. The AquaClear50 moves water bottom to top and has an initial sponge that is the same thickness throughout for catching particles. The FluvalC3 moves water from back to front using a pad that goes from coarse filter to a second "fine debris" polishing pad. It also has a trickle filter on top of your biomedia.

That is why Aquaclear claims 3 stage filtration while Fluval C series says five stage.

In either filter, the carbon is a waste of space. For best results, in a Fluval C ... use Purigen instead of carbon, ....... In an AquaClear ....... use some kind of polishing pad in the middle and Purigen if you can get it to fit.

If you upgrade to an AquaClear70 ....... which moves water from bottom to top rather than back to front like the FluvalC series, you do have room to get your water polished due to the extra 1.5 inches of depth in the plastic filter casing in which you can put dense polishing floss plus Purigen.

In a tank less than 55 gallons, a canister filter is a complete waste of time. effort, leaks, and cost when a Fluval C series will give you the same end result.

Best wishes.

I have a marineland c530 canister on my 90 gal African tank I like it but it is a little.loud

I had a c360. I won't have another marineland canister. It's because of what happened with that canister that I spent the big bucks on a Eheim.

It was sucking air and blowing it into the tank. Couldn't get a seal and couldn't get replacement parts. It was about 6 months old. Later learned there is a known issue with the C series pumps.

I read this also but I siliconed all my fittings

Best filters that don't leak?

I'm one of the lucky Marineland C series owners (3 of them) that do nothing but leak now. Looking for a replacement and it seems every brand has some sort of leak issue when looking a reviews on Amazon. Is there any canister that NEVER leaks? :ermm:

I swear by Eheim. They are high, but they have a great reputation. I have a pro series, but I know a lot of folks here use the classic and lie it.

I'm one of the lucky Marineland C series owners (3 of them) that do nothing but leak now. Looking for a replacement and it seems every brand has some sort of leak issue when looking a reviews on Amazon. Is there any canister that NEVER leaks? :ermm:

geese I must be really lucky Iam on my first marineland no leaks But I did silicone all my fittings

where dp they leak from

The gasket around the head unit and the body. Tried the plumbers silicon on the most recent leaky unit per Marineland support but no luck. Have taken it apart & cleaned several times but no luck. Every review I look at Amazon for every canister seems to have some eventual leak issue. :(

have u tried vasonline on the gasket

I've read people doing it Idk first check and make sure it won't screw with.your ph or water chem

The gasket around the head unit and the body. Tried the plumbers silicon on the most recent leaky unit per Marineland support but no luck. Have taken it apart & cleaned several times but no luck. Every review I look at Amazon for every canister seems to have some eventual leak issue. :(

Yep. Same here.

have u tried vasonline on the gasket

I've read people doing it Idk first check and make sure it won't screw with.your ph or water chem

Eheim actually recommends using Vaseline on their gaskets. It says it right in my eheim 2028 manual. I have used it on three different canisters in the past and will continue to do so. It has never caused an issue for me.

I have a marineland canister that leaks. I also have a fluval canister and eheim pro canister and neither of them leak.

Back
Top Bottom