Filtration advice for new 75?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning to start a 75 planted, on a budget.

I have two AquaClear70's. I also have a Fluval306 canister.
I could use both aquaclears, or the fluval and just clean it frequently?
Or stalk local craigslists for another canister for sale?

I plan to stock with rainbows and a schooling tetra.. but I haven't decided on the details yet.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

That's plenty imo, not sure what type tank but the ac 70's wouldn't fit my aqueon 75, I had to cut plastic to get them on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have the tank yet, so I assume the AC's will fit, but I could be wrong.
I am trading my 125 for a 75 because my 125 won't fit in my new place.

I don't have the tank yet, so I assume the AC's will fit, but I could be wrong.
I am trading my 125 for a 75 because my 125 won't fit in my new place.

Huh?? Haha what if they dont?? If it is an aqueon tank they will not.

Brookster is it the thickness of the aqueon frame? What if you take leveler out?

Brookster is it the thickness of the aqueon frame? What if you take leveler out?

Yes, it had nothing to do with the adjustable piece on bottom, the throat wouldn't seat all the way down onto the frame if that makes sense. I cut 3/16" of plastic out to let it sit all the way down. I can take pics when I get home. May actually be in my thread. I'll check...

Ok I gotcha. I would of never thought the frame was that thick.

Huh?? Haha what if they dont?? If it is an aqueon tank they will not.

Well...I guess I'll find out! I can always start it with the fluval 306. It is only rated for up to 70 gal, but I can stock it slowly while I look for a bargain on another canister. ETA - Thanks for alerting me to the possibility they won't fit. I never even thought about that possibility!

Ok I gotcha. I would of never thought the frame was that thick.

It was a surprise to me as well. I was baffled by the fact that an ac 70 would not fit a 75 gal tank. I made it fit!!

That's bizarre that a major filter wouldn't fit on the frame of a standard model aquarium that's right around its rated size. :confused:

That aside, I'd be tempted to run the canister and one HOB.

mar...

What's the plan for a water change routine? Did you know you can greatly reduce the level of filtration by simply removing and replacing most of the tank water every week?

B

mar...

What's the plan for a water change routine? Did you know you can greatly reduce the level of filtration by simply removing and replacing most of the tank water every week?

B

Mar- say you're going to do a 50%weekly wc or he'll never leave you alone;)

Fluval 306 is rated up to 70 gallons, and believe plants also use some of the waste, and help some with filtration? I want to use the filter to the full extent- aka load it up with good filter media. I have seen really good reviews of biohome, and was thinking of investing in that for two of the trays with mechanical filtration (foam) in the first one.

As for water changes- it will be in the basement family room, about 8 ft from the 1/2 bath. It's not a big sink, but we will make it work. I don't plan to do 50% week.. but probably 20%. I am hoping to stock with rainbows and a schooling tetra. I might go with neons as they are cheap with smaller bio waste, but not sure yet.

I am planning to trade my 125 reef tank for the 75 with stand and canopy. I may pick up a 55 while they are still $1/gallon, in case the trade falls through- I can always return it. The filtration would be fine on a 55, and I already have the stand, etc...

Mar- say you're going to do a 50%weekly wc or he'll never leave you alone;)

Brook...

Thanks! Good to know I'm finally getting through to some people after all my years on this forum. This hobby is all about the water, so if you keep the water clear, you'll have no tank problems.

B

Brook...

Thanks! Good to know I'm finally getting through to some people after all my years on this forum. This hobby is all about the water, so if you keep the water clear, you'll have no tank problems.

B

I got yah B, I'm a big fan of them myself!

Back
Top Bottom