Filtration for a 35 gal hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 35 gallon hexagonal tank that I want to use to make a reef tank. (Looks exactly like this one: www.vibrantsea.com/systems2.php?sysID=2). Initially was expecting just fish w/live rock and the fish store set me up with live sand and a Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel filter. Now thinking that I might want invertebrates down the line.

Not enough room to hang the Marineland filter and a protein skimmer on the tank. No room for a sump, other than perhaps a 5 to 10 gallon bucket in the stand which could be accessed (barely) from the front, but not removed once the tank is setup on top.

Assuming I have enough live rock, would it be sufficient to have a hang on protein skimmer and perhaps a powerhead lower down in the tank for flow?

I haven't figured out the lighting, but to the extent that I can't find lighting to fit w/the existing hood, I probably can make my own hood to accomodate.

May just settle for fish only, if my space/tank parameters are to constraining...

Thanks in advance!

Assuming I have enough live rock, would it be sufficient to have a hang on protein skimmer and perhaps a powerhead lower down in the tank for flow?

Those three things LR, Skimmer and a couple PH`s will be all you need. I sa a couple because those type tanks (hex shape) are famous for not allowing flow all around the tank. You need two or three depending on how strong they are. BTW welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom