Filtration for Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am trying to figure out what filtration setup to use on a 40 gallon breeder goldfish tank I am planning.
1. Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 30: 450 gph
2. x2 Aquaclear 70: 600 gph Is this too much flow?
3. Aquaclear 110: 500 gph
4. Rena Filstar xp1, Aquaclear 50: 450 gph
5. Rena Filstar xp2, Aquaclear 30: 450 gph
6. Rena Filstar xp3, Aquaclear 20: 450 gph
7. Rena Filstar xp4: 450 gph
8. Eheim Ecco 2236, Aquaclear 70: 459 gph
9. Eheim 2215, Aquaclear 70: 464 gph
Would any of these setups work? Which is best? Thank you!

There's pretty much no such thing as too much filtration when it comes to goldies. The higher the GPH, the better. I'd go with the AC 70, 600 GPH.
How many goldfish are you planning to have in the tank? Or will this be for fry only? If so, that's the only exception to the "too much filtration" rule and I'd need to reconsider my advice.

There's pretty much no such thing as too much filtration when it comes to goldies. The higher the GPH, the better. I'd go with the AC 70, 600 GPH.
How many goldfish are you planning to have in the tank? Or will this be for fry only? If so, that's the only exception to the "too much filtration" rule and I'd need to reconsider my advice.

Probably 2 or 3, either ryukins or ranchus. Wouldn't a canister be better, though?

I have two AC 70s on my 55g for my shubunkin goldfish. Love those filters!

There's a ton of room to choose what you want in the filters if you like to customize it. I currently have the foam block that comes with it, a pack of purigen, and two bags of bio balls in each of my filters. I took out the carbon that came with them. The water is always really clear. You can also adjust the flow rate on the AC 70s.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello! I am trying to figure out what filtration setup to use on a 40 gallon breeder goldfish tank I am planning.

1. Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 30: 450 gph

2. x2 Aquaclear 70: 600 gph Is this too much flow?

3. Aquaclear 110: 500 gph

4. Rena Filstar xp1, Aquaclear 50: 450 gph

5. Rena Filstar xp2, Aquaclear 30: 450 gph

6. Rena Filstar xp3, Aquaclear 20: 450 gph

7. Rena Filstar xp4: 450 gph

8. Eheim Ecco 2236, Aquaclear 70: 459 gph

9. Eheim 2215, Aquaclear 70: 464 gph

Would any of these setups work? Which is best? Thank you!

I would go for number 9. A canister filter in my opinion, is much better than a HOB filter. Despite the difference in flow rate, u get much more mechanical and biological filtration with a canister filter. A good rule of thumb is to turn over your wafer volume 10 times in an hour and all 9 choices meets that criteria. I also love eheim, such a reliable brand.

You might consider #10) Eheim 2215 & FluvalC4

The C series is far superior to AquaClear (both made by Hagen). Discussed "ad-naseum" in these three threads:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/hob-filter-recommendation-294543.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/fluval-c4-vs-bio-wheel-hobs-294841-2.html#post2804607

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

I own ac50, 2 C3's & one C4 and can assure you the Fluval C is the best HOB on the market.

Ya u can do that too but having two gives u more redundancy.

Also, if one were to quit working, you would still have a back up. That's the main reason I went with two smaller filters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On Amazon right now, C3 is only $5 more than C2. Since you can turn down the flow about to about 60% of capacity while maintaining about the same filtration rate you don't have to worry about too much current. The C3 should give you a better result since the additional filter media space means less frequent filter maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom