Filtration question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShMacKDizZLe

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had my 72g fluval profile 1000 set up for a year now and I'm having a little trouble with diatom or possibly some cyno. I've gotten it to go away twice now by cutting the light cycle and a bunch water changes but it takes forever and I'm thinking I just need better filtration. Here are my issues... The fluval set up came with a fluval 305 which I think is rated up to 70 gallons but I don't think it's up to the task... Does anyone think an fx5 would be way too powerful for my tank or should I make the jump? I'd love to switch to a sump but it has this really lame support board in the middle of the base and there just isn't enough room so I'm going to stick with a nice canister. I also have a reef octopus HOB skimmer that hasn't been producing much lately I think it needs to be taken apart and cleaned... Any suggestions?

from what i've been told by my LFS you should have a filter thats meant for double the size of your tank.

my water is being cycled between two filters at 480 GPH and my water is sparcking clean, and the water tests are always low

I use a fluval 305 on an understocked freshwater 20 gallon tank. There are only 6 fish in the tank. You can't have too much filtration but you can have not enough. I suggest two fluvals or renas.

Awesome that's what I was thinking... I was just worried about my cryptic six line getting stuck to the inlet of the filter. I think the fx5 is rated at 400 gph which should be pretty beastly for my little 72 g tank.

Back
Top Bottom