filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corydoralover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a top fin internal filter 10 ( 97 gph but i have it on the lowest setting ) for my 10 gallon and i already have a boyu 300 lph in there and i have 4 albino corys so is the tanks filtration alright?

I just bought a top fin internal filter 10 ( 97 gph but i have it on the lowest setting ) for my 10 gallon and i already have a boyu 300 lph in there and i have 4 albino corys so is the tanks filtration alright?

You have a relatively low bioload so you should be ok

If i add 2 more will it be alright?

You should be fine. In the future though I'd suggest acquiring a HOB filter because most internals only provide mechanical filtration (sponges) but with just the corries you should be just fine.

Your filtration might be ok but 6 corys in a 10g wont. I wouldn't keep corys in anything smaller than a 20. I would stick with 4 if you must.

Filtration Question

Hello cory...

I keep many Corydoras and a 10 G is very small for these foraging fish and will require large, frequent water changes, not overfiltration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You feed the fish and they produce wastes. The wastes need to be removed often, not filtered. The filter just takes in toxic water and returns the water a bit less toxic. If you want to keep those corys healthy, then change half the water in the tank every couple of days and use one of the filters for the tank and keep the other as a backup.

B

Hello cory...

I keep many Corydoras and a 10 G is very small for these foraging fish and will require large, frequent water changes, not overfiltration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You feed the fish and they produce wastes. The wastes need to be removed often, not filtered. The filter just takes in toxic water and returns the water a bit less toxic. If you want to keep those corys healthy, then change half the water in the tank every couple of days and use one of the filters for the tank and keep the other as a backup.

B

There's nothing wrong IMO with running both filters at the same time. What shouldn't be happening is the corys being in the 10 gallon. That's no good. Maybe for growing out babies it'd be ok but by 1" they should be in a 20 gallon or larger. They like space. There are lots of other more appropriate fish we can recommend for a 10 gallon.

Tank Filtration

There's nothing wrong IMO with running both filters at the same time. What shouldn't be happening is the corys being in the 10 gallon. That's no good. Maybe for growing out babies it'd be ok but by 1" they should be in a 20 gallon or larger. They like space. There are lots of other more appropriate fish we can recommend for a 10 gallon.

Hello mister...

You're right about the Corys, but provided you change a lot of tank water and change it frequently, you'd only need one filter with a gallon per hour rating of 50 to 60 at the most. The poster's 10 G has filtration at 172 gallons per hour, a 97 and a 75. That's enough filter for a 55 G tank.

The large, frequent water change is the filtration, not the filter.

B

Thanks and there's no where to rehome them and i have no sosve for another tank so when they die i won't get them again. All mine seem very active and i change 50% of the water ever weekend. I can do more though. I know that filters can't replace water changes.

Hello mister...

You're right about the Corys, but provided you change a lot of tank water and change it frequently, you'd only need one filter with a gallon per hour rating of 50 to 60 at the most. The poster's 10 G has filtration at 172 gallons per hour, a 97 and a 75. That's enough filter for a 55 G tank.

The large, frequent water change is the filtration, not the filter.

B

You're talking to a guy who had 1300 GPH on a 90 gallon. It's fine. If you do it right, there isn't too much current for the fish. You can't over filter, you can just have too much current for the fish in your tank. As long as you aren't creating too much current you can have as much filtration as you want. (y)

The corys actually love the current. They're constantly swimming up and down the current and i do areas without much current.

Back
Top Bottom