Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchase a 120 gallon tank what type of filtration do I need to buy without breaking the bank I currently have a fluval 150

What are you stocking it with? Fluval is good. I'm not a fan of canisters. I had a fx5 but wasn't happy, that's just me though. Some like them and others not so much.

I run 2 aquaclear 110's (HOB) on my 75 gallon.

A lot of people will say fx5 but to tell the truth they are rubbish and you will spend more time cleaning it than it will be running

I recommend a eheim pro 3 2080

You shouldn't do cheap when it comes to filteration as its the kidney of your tank

I've heard several people say at that size, the way to go is a sump. Just throwing that out there! ;)

Sump is the way to go but the tank is not massive I used to run a 350 gal on 4 x 2080s

If my tank was in my house I wouldn't run a sump they are smelly and noisy

Just think of the smell you get from a canister filter when you open it to clean it well a sump smells like that all the time

If you think the tank is big enough for a sump (which its not ) then why not use a bead filter that was a joke by the way

Which ever way you go run 2 canister filters as 2 are better than 1 and change one at a time that way you don't kill all the good bacteria in one go and if one packs in you still have the second one running

A guy that I know has a used sump I'm not sure of the brand he told me to shoot him a price I'm not sure of the brand he said originally around 300.00 new but that was a couple years ago. Any suggestions on what to offer

A sump is cheap they are not branded you just get a old tank and make it into a sump

Not sure of the dimmentions of this tank but could be 6x2 the sump would be very small

You would need to get the main tank drilled with a over flow pipe weir

Then you need a good size pump to run the sump

It's just not worth it on a tank below 300 gal as a lot of canister filter are made for the tank size mentioned

I run a sump on my 1000 gal and the sump size is 6x2x2 but I also run a big sand filter along side it as I have a high bio load

It depends on the stocking levels

I'm actually buying a sump for 50 bucks the guy is getting out of aquariums and is selling cheap he has a 220 gal saltwater setup for sell but I just have the room or I'd buy it!!

For now I figured for 50 bucks it be worth shot the same sump was 200 bucks at lfs without the pump and its an extra hundred for that

Back
Top Bottom