Finally finished!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chess46

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I have finally finished the switch in my 80g African cichlid tank to a planted tank for discus. I currently have 5 Bolivian rams, a school of tetras and a couple cories in the tank. I'm thinking of adding some rummynose tetras and maybe a few snails. I currently have one heater and a marineland magnum 350 canister filter. Should I add more filtration? And I do plan to get another heater. My water parameters are ammonia: 0 nitrite:0 nitrate: 10 and ph 7.6. I know my ph is high for discus but after talking to breeders/owners I've decided to just leave it instead of adding chemicals to bring it down. I was told that the discus would just adapt to it. What I am worried about is water changes. I plan to do a 75% water change weekly but I notice that my ammonia spikes after a water change. It returns to 0 over night but when I check right after adding the water change my ammonia is 0.25-0.50 The question is would this be too much for the discus? I know my other fish have no problem with the temporary change but discus are very touchy fish I've heard. I do use prime during adding the new water but it doesn't seem to remove all of the new ammonia that is coming from the tap. Please let me know if this will be a problem or not.

Here are some pics of how the tank looks now:

image-3846802903.jpg

image-2482988093.jpg

image-3513151163.jpg

image-516147454.jpg

Sorry if they are the wrong size. I uploaded them from my phone.

I accidentally posted the thread before I was finished with it. Pics should be up now.

Looks fantastic. All ways wanted to get into discus but I'm too stingy -.-

As far as the ammonia goes with the water change, from what I have heard prime will turn it to its less toxic form but will still show up while you test... No experience with discus but I'm thinking you should be okay if it goes back to 0 relatively fast.

Thank you so much. That makes me feel better about the water changes.

Your tank looks very nice! The stand is also nice. My dad was a furniture maker so I can always appreciate a nice stand!

Thank you so much everyone. I finally have it where I'm happy with it after going back and forth between fake and live plants, sand and gravel and 3 different sets of driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom