Finally getting my 55 going!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't yet, and I don't have ammonia..... I kinda have to now though cuz I made my wife go with me and ask for one shrimp! Lol I think she was literally mad at me she was so embarrassed! Hahahahaha

I haven't yet, and I don't have ammonia..... I kinda have to now though cuz I made my wife go with me and ask for one shrimp! Lol I think she was literally mad at me she was so embarrassed! Hahahahaha

It's really not a big deal. It will work just fine. I used it for my saltwater tank. It does start to stick though. Warn the wife.

I put some gravel from my other tank in my canister filter, and left the mesh bag with bio beads in it in the old tank for a few days also.
That should really speed it up so. With shrimp, use a fine mesh bag or a new pair of panty hose. These stop all the bits of the shrimp going everywhere. Try and suspend the bag/panty hose in the return flow of the filter....

What if I went and bought a few cheap tetras or something and put them in there? Would that work instead of the shrimp? I'm unsure of what I want to/need to do now... Hmmmmm

What if I went and bought a few cheap tetras or something and put them in there? Would that work instead of the shrimp? I'm unsure of what I want to/need to do now... Hmmmmm
I went with the fishin cycle. I used 8 Zebra Danios, all still alive and well, they are very hardy fish. Have a read of the fishin cycles articles on here. I couldn't get my hands on pure Ammonia, so had no choice but i would do it again if needed..

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

What did you use convict?

Hahaha about 30 cichlids. I didn't know any better 2 years ago. Man... I was pulling my hair out with all the water changes and testing. I went through a WHOLE test kit in about 3 weeks!!

I was doing 2-3 water changes a day sometimes more!! But they all made it.

Also I wouldn't use feeders. They can be disease ridden and are often ill or in poor condition IMO. I've heard of people using danios and goldfish.

Most will suggest fish less cycle though. There is some controversy and debate on a fish in cycle.

Hmmmm.... Well crap! Lol now I'm not sure what to do...... I didn't cycle my 30 gallon at all.... But now I've had my cichlids long enough that I don't want to chance putting them in there!

Hmmmm.... Well crap! Lol now I'm not sure what to do...... I didn't cycle my 30 gallon at all.... But now I've had my cichlids long enough that I don't want to chance putting them in there!

Tough call brother. You do what your comfortable doing that's all I can say. I never did a freshwater fish less cycle so.... You know what side I'm on.

Ok.... I put the maxijet 1200 in my 55 and.... Good lord!!!! I don't think I'm going to be able to use it, it's blowing all my sand and everything else around! I don't want "tired" fish!!! Lololol

I went fish in with black skirt tetras and 2 feather fins. Also and I have huge praise for this part of it...run an airline to an active sponge filter from angels plus (google angels plus filters) as well and in a week or two feel ok to stock it. The sponge comes with all beneficial bacteria and it claims to be an instant cycle. I also at same time used the bottled seachem stability (which also says you can add fish right away) and the seachem prime as directed from the get go. Once the cloudiness came and went I stocked with about 20 cichlids and they're all fine.

Back
Top Bottom