Finally going saltwater!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a biocube as well as several other tanks and to be honest i think the cube is a great beginner tank. You dont have to stress over lighting cause the stock lighting can keep alot of decent corals while getting a T5 light for coral on a 20-29g is gonna run you over $100 alone.

I will admit i took out the bioballs in my cube and added a media and a fuge tray system. i bought mine used for like $50 but it runs about $80 new. here's the link for it

BioCube 29 - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies

I think 2 clowns and 2 other small fish would be excellent stocking. Plus you can put a bunch of inverts in too. :-D

I am currently overstocked in my cube, lol, planning an upgrade in a month or two but i have in mine:
2 b&w clowns
firefish
yellow watchman goby
citron goby
scooter dragonet
a blue ORA mandarin

I have 3 peppermint shrimp, one cleaner shrimp and maybe 10-15 nassarius snails ( too many but I love when they come out for feeding lol) a turbo snail and about 4 hermits.

My tank has been up for about 8 months and was pretty much setup with rock from my other tanks. I have only added a few corals so i can't really attest to the lighting but what i have added has done well.

Hope that helps some!

I'm gonna go with the cube. Now just looking for the best price online or see what my buddy John can do. Calling him tomorrow.

Yeah I might break the bank and do it. Figured it comes with everything so I don't have much to worry about. And the place I would get it from will throw in some live stock and CUC guys.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah I might break the bank and do it. Figured it comes with everything so I don't have much to worry about. And the place I would get it from will throw in some live stock and CUC guys.

Yes, the extra cash is worth it if you dont have to put it all together, although that way comes out cheaper.

Sounds good overall man, but make sure you leave some money for the rock;) thats very important!

Gboy66 said:
Yes, the extra cash is worth it if you dont have to put it all together, although that way comes out cheaper.

Sounds good overall man, but make sure you leave some money for the rock;) thats very important!

Will do. Rock and sand.

GOING TO GET THE CUBE NOW!!!! Not sure about the stand. It's expensive and not sure I really need it. $334.00 for the 29 bio cube HQI

Convict2161 said:
GOING TO GET THE CUBE NOW!!!! Not sure about the stand. It's expensive and not sure I really need it. $334.00 for the 29 bio cube HQI

It kills me that youv just decided on a sw tank and your already moving 5x as fast as i lol!!

Dude im excited for you, this is totally sweet that you have fully gotten into this hobby!

Have your ordered your rock yet? You might want to now, shipping takes foreverr if its free

The place I'm getting the cube from told me they have a 300 gallon tank filled with live rock. Can that be? It's a place called House Of Fins in Greenwich CT. He said he has everything I need to start the cycle. Sand, rock whatever I need. On my way!!

Convict2161 said:
The place I'm getting the cube from told me they have a 300 gallon tank filled with live rock. Can that be? It's a place called House Of Fins in Greenwich CT. He said he has everything I need to start the cycle. Sand, rock whatever I need. On my way!!

Oh ya totally possible, but that is definaty not the cheapest way to go man. Just go to reefcleaners and buy 35 lbs of dry reef rock, then get another 10 of live to add to the base.

Ok will do man. Also I was reading. Put the rock down first right? Like right on the glass so if I have any creatures that dig the rocks won't shift. Am I on the right track?

Convict2161 said:
Ok will do man. Also I was reading. Put the rock down first right? Like right on the glass so if I have any creatures that dig the rocks won't shift. Am I on the right track?

Yea, but i feel uneasy about putting 30lbs of rock directly on glass..so im going to add half of my sand, really dig the rocks into it, then add the rest.

Another option is to put egg crate on the bottom of the tank and stick the rocks directly on that. Then add all of your sand.

Either or!

Im also going to glue all my unstable rocks together so that none fall, i want to create some archways!

Convict2161 said:
I like the archway idea!!

Dude totally, ima put rocks on both sides making some nice caves, and just make arch after arch. :D hopefully it turns out just like it is in my head:)

Place was no good!! I'm soo you know what. The guy tallied it all up and at the end we were at $1,400 no rock or fish!!! That was tank,stand,sand,protein skimmer and hydrometer. Oh and a heater. That was crazy!! And the regular 29 gallon bio cube without that special light was under 400 bucks!! With the same included!! Did I miss something?! WOW!!!

Convict2161 said:
Place was no good!! I'm soo you know what. The guy tallied it all up and at the end we were at $1,400 no rock or fish!!! That was tank,stand,sand,protein skimmer and hydrometer. Oh and a heater. That was crazy!! And the regular 29 gallon bio cube without that special light was under 400 bucks!! With the same included!! Did I miss something?! WOW!!!

What the heck?? Did he misplace that 1 or somthing?

Uhmmm, craigslist. Lol

Will the lights on the regular bio cube 29 be sufficient for corals? I'm being told no. I'm being told my the LFS that I need the HQI bio cube for corals. Anything less and it's just a rock and fish tank.

Check with carey as she has one .. but im pretty sure it'll support most of the lower maintenance corals.. so no clams, sps, or anemones

Back
Top Bottom