Finally going saltwater!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NyteGTI said:
Check with carey as she has one .. but im pretty sure it'll support most of the lower maintenance corals.. so no clams, sps, or anemones

I PM'd her, just waiting for a response.

Ordered the 29 bio cube it will be here Saturday!! Whoo Hoo!!! A looooong way to go but it has begun. Just looking for the perfect place in the bedroom.

I wanna thank Carey for all her help!

Convict2161 said:
Ordered the 29 bio cube it will be here Saturday!! Whoo Hoo!!! A looooong way to go but it has begun. Just looking for the perfect place in the bedroom.

I wanna thank Carey for all her help!

Nice! Which one did you end up getting? Are its lights enough for the beginner corals?

Gboy66 said:
Looking good:)

So much for those guys that said this biocube wasnt good!

Yea they wanted me to buy the one they were selling for 1,400 NOWAY!!!

This will just fine for me a beginner. I can still have some corals etc... My buddy showed me what I could have in that tank and I was happy so why not. I'll set it up Sat.

Convict2161 said:
Yea they wanted me to buy the one they were selling for 1,400 NOWAY!!!

This will just fine for me a beginner. I can still have some corals etc... My buddy showed me what I could have in that tank and I was happy so why not. I'll set it up Sat.

Haha oh ya! You could have easily made your own setup for probably <400, so 1400..thats just crazy

Cough* set it up today!! Cough*

Ok so I need a protein skimmer right? So I'll get the one made for that cube its like 30-40 bucks online. Do I need a refugium?

It doesn't come with one. Just trying to figure out what I'll need to get. What size heater would be good as well? Aqueon Pro? If so what watts? My bedroom gets pretty cold in the winter. And had AC for summer. Put it this way. Heat is maxed out and the bedroom is only 69 degrees. I just added a space heater to bring it up a few degrees for the baby and wife.

Anyway what do I need? What's not necessary?

Convict2161 said:
Ok so I need a protein skimmer right? So I'll get the one made for that cube its like 30-40 bucks online. Do I need a refugium?

It doesn't come with one. Just trying to figure out what I'll need to get. What size heater would be good as well? Aqueon Pro? If so what watts? My bedroom gets pretty cold in the winter. And had AC for summer. Put it this way. Heat is maxed out and the bedroom is only 69 degrees. I just added a space heater to bring it up a few degrees for the baby and wife.

Anyway what do I need? What's not necessary?

You dont need a protein skimmer, or a refigium actually! I would buy the 40 dollar one withthe cube even though it isnt the best, but for a 29 it will do!

As for the heater, anything rated to around 40 gallons will be good enough. I have heard that aquons are good, but i bought some german brand lol

Gboy66 said:
You dont need a protein skimmer, or a refigium actually! I would buy the 40 dollar one withthe cube even though it isnt the best, but for a 29 it will do!

As for the heater, anything rated to around 40 gallons will be good enough. I have heard that aquons are good, but i bought some german brand lol

Thanks G! I'll do the skimmer since it goes and it's cheap. What about a UV light for the filter section? Some people are STRONGLY recommending one.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks G! I'll do the skimmer since it goes and it's cheap. What about a UV light for the filter section? Some people are STRONGLY recommending one.

Is this light an attatchment for the cube? Im not familiar with it

I PM'd her hopefully she will stop by an help out. Although she has helped me SO much already so I'd like to thank her publicly. Thank you Carey!! :)

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
I PM'd her hopefully she will stop by an help out. Although she has helped me SO much already so I'd like to thank her publicly. Thank you Carey!! :)

She is such a help, totally agreed

Hi guys. :-D

I would pass on the UV if it were me. I will say alot of people swear by them so I'm not discounting their potential for good use, just in my experience I havent used one and havent found the need to use one.

People say it can help out with disease but once you have ich for instance you have ich and the UV isnt gonna cure it, it might catch some of the ich or parasite but it cant catch it all. I will agree that it can help with algae issues, but if you keep up your tank maintenance then you shouldnt really worry too much about that.

As far as the skimmer, if you got the cube that has it included then all is good but if you are thinking of going out and buying one I would say wait it out and see if you need one.

carey said:
Hi guys. :-D

I would pass on the UV if it were me. I will say alot of people swear by them so I'm not discounting their potential for good use, just in my experience I havent used one and havent found the need to use one.

People say it can help out with disease but once you have ich for instance you have ich and the UV isnt gonna cure it, it might catch some of the ich or parasite but it cant catch it all. I will agree that it can help with algae issues, but if you keep up your tank maintenance then you shouldnt really worry too much about that.

As far as the skimmer, if you got the cube that has it included then all is good but if you are thinking of going out and buying one I would say wait it out and see if you need one.

Ahh i knew carey would be silently following :) lol

I want to learn for a sec, so a UV does what? Does it go into the water and such up very fine particles?

The UV is usually a long tube with an ultra violet light inside. You use a small pump or your return to pass water through it. The UV can kill parasites and other baddies but it also can kill off good bacteria as well. It doesnt suck up anything at all, it just has water pass slowly past the UV light. Thats it. :)

carey said:
The UV is usually a long tube with an ultra violet light inside. You use a small pump or your return to pass water through it. The UV can kill parasites and other baddies but it also can kill off good bacteria as well. It doesnt suck up anything at all, it just has water pass slowly past the UV light. Thats it. :)

That sounds really cool, are these necessary for larger tanks, but not smaller ones?

Back
Top Bottom