Finally...high-tech fluval build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome. I've been waiting too long to start this thread but here goes :)

The tank is a 5 gallon fluval something (spec I think.). Lighting is Current Sat + pro; I'll be using paintball tank CO2, exact brand and stuff will be listed below. Hardscape is just a trio of really really cool rocks I picked up at the LFS. Here's my equipment {I have some of it and others I am waiting for ref season to start up so I can buy it lol; if you have any suggestions/comments or anything about the equipment please do not hesitate to bring it up!}
~equipment~
•Valken 24oz. Paintball tank
•Aquatek Premium Regulator w/ paintball adaptor (and co2 proof tubing)
•Current sat. + pro
•Cobalt 25 watt heater
•Rhinnox 1000 Glass reactor
•Drop checker
•ADA Amazonia Powder
~flora~
•Ammania sp Bonsai
•Blyxa Japonica
•Downoi
•Star repens
•AR mini
~fauna~
•Dwarf Puffer. This is my top pick, I really want one of these guys but I sorta feel it's a little small for them. But then again they're tiny fish....
•Boraras brigittae. This is the fish my family wants lol. I like em but they're just schooling fish, no personality.
• Dario dario. Last resort. I like em but I'd rather DP's or chilis.

Well that's the start of all this! This is my first ever planted tank so ANY help/suggestions is highly welcomed and appreciated! Ps- there will be long intermissions, refereeing soccer is lucrative but it don't bring da big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're willing to go the extra mile, you could do a single Dwarf Puffer. I have one in my 2.5, and he has plenty of space. Sounds like he'd love it in yours. I can't get mine to eat anything other than snails, but he'll eat live blackworms when I have them on hand. Also, stick a Dwarf Cray in there to. Awesome little inverts. I keep one with mine and he'll clean out any leftover snail parts so he's just like a little clean up crew. Sounds like a nice set up though. Or, maybe a trio of Otocinclus. That is pretty much the only algae eating, clean up crew fish that would fit in there and that the puffer would allow. He'll rip the crap out of anything else in there. I would personally go with a trio of Scarlet Badis, but that's just me. Be warned though, Dwarf Puffers need the extra mile, and cannot be overlooked.

Nils

PS - I love soccer, have two games this weekend, finally got off of being banned from the games because I got a red card, hehe :)

I'd totally do a puffer tank bro.. your setup sounds right right too man:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're willing to go the extra mile, you could do a single Dwarf Puffer. I have one in my 2.5, and he has plenty of space. Sounds like he'd love it in yours. I can't get mine to eat anything other than snails, but he'll eat live blackworms when I have them on hand. Also, stick a Dwarf Cray in there to. Awesome little inverts. I keep one with mine and he'll clean out any leftover snail parts so he's just like a little clean up crew. Sounds like a nice set up though. Or, maybe a trio of Otocinclus. That is pretty much the only algae eating, clean up crew fish that would fit in there and that the puffer would allow. He'll rip the crap out of anything else in there. I would personally go with a trio of Scarlet Badis, but that's just me. Be warned though, Dwarf Puffers need the extra mile, and cannot be overlooked.

Nils

PS - I love soccer, have two games this weekend, finally got off of being banned from the games because I got a red card, hehe :)

Man I'm so glad I haven't had to give any or be apart of any red cards. There's a lot of stinkin paperwork!
If I go puffer I'll definitely keep on top him. The petco like a mile from my house always has pest snails all over, I'm sure I could barter with the guys since they're always trying to get rid of em.

I'd totally do a puffer tank bro.. your setup sounds right right too man:)

Thanks brookster! The more I think about it the more I'm likin the idea of one.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Good thing I didn't have to pay for the kids broken braces lol. Anyway, That's exactly what I do with PetCo. I'll ride my bike over, ask for a net and a bag and they'll let me fish out as many snails as I want from their plant tank. In my opinion, I should be paid for it!! I used to keep Sea Monkey's, which are just brine shrimp, when I was 5 years old, and I just keep tons of those snails in there. There's a little thread of Java Moss, and they lay eggs and live in there. They take forever to develop though. I have bladder snails, the only ones available, and two rams horns I found in my 16, so hopefully they reproduce. Ramshorns are supposed to be much more nutritious than Bladders, but I only get a few Ramshorns. If you can, get your hands on some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They reproduce a LOT quicker and also develop faster. Wish I could get some. And don't worry about an infestation, the puffer won't stop until every single last snail is gone. Hope I helped!

Nils

Yeah, it's a good thing I didn't have to pay for his broken braces, but I'm not going to go into details on that :) Anyway, I have a PetCo about an hours ride away on my bike and I'll ride there, collect as many snails as I need, and they'll even let me borrow there net for it! GO for the Malaysian Trumpet Snails, as they are easier to breed and envelop quicker. I mainly get Bladder snails and a few Ramshorns, but MTS are the way to go. I usually collect from the separate plant tank that they have, since it has it's own filter system and there fore is separated from Ich and all that fun stuff. (Not really that was a joke) Also, get some live blackworms, because mine loves those. Lastly, (Sorry I know I type a lot) I recommend San Francisco Bay Brand for bloodworms if you want to hand feed it, I had a different puffer before (S.I.P Gupta) and I fed him those thawed from tweezers. They're extremely smart, will recognize your face and know what time feeding is. Hope I helped!

Nils

Thanks nils!
Im going to start ordering bits and pieces again this weekend. Probably get some of the cheapies like tubing, diffuser and possibly adaptor.
After that I'll only have the big ticket items left and I can get underway!

I LOVE my little dwarf puffer. Super cute, super personable. You'll need a supply of live food, but blackworms and pond snails are easy to cultivate. Bonus points that due to their tiny little invisible fins, they look like little hovercrafts that move with the power of thought. I just want to squeeze him.

Yay I ordered the diffuser, drop checker and paintball tank today! Just a couple more things left.

Hurry up:p

Dude trust me I'm going as fast as a 15 year old can! I actually got more money today than I thought I would so I ordered a good chunk.
Hey right now I ain't too unhappy because I haven't paid out of pocket for any of my equipment. It's all been paid for by holiday gift cards so the load for me is pretty light :D

Ahh to be young again... wait I got amazon gift cards for xmas to hahahah. Let me know when you're ready for plants.

Ahh to be young again... wait I got amazon gift cards for xmas to hahahah. Let me know when you're ready for plants.

Yeah Amazon cards don't last long with me, either Airsoft or fish lol.
But I'll for sure hit you up when I'm ready!
I've got a quick question, what should BPM be for this tank? I've read about it and stuff but I'm still pretty confused in the CO2 dosing department.

Paintball tank got here, also planning on painting the back of the aquarium tomorrow.
It's supposed to get to about 73° so it should be good spray paintin weather. Anyone got any suggestions with the painting?

Tanks painted, overspray on one spot on the outside and got a spray on the inside wall. I'm kinda worried now, should I try and get the paint off the inside wall or is this the end of her?

Wait for it to dry, and then try getting it off with a razor blade. This shouldn't be too bad, and once you get it off check the tank for any other possible over-sprays and rinse the tank out again. No, this isn't the end haha, you'll be fine. So have you finally decided on what to do with stock? It could've been said earlier but I kinda didm't look, sorry, just wanted to go ahead and type something. I'm sure Brookster has some nice plants waiting for you :)

Nils

Wait for it to dry, and then try getting it off with a razor blade. This shouldn't be too bad, and once you get it off check the tank for any other possible over-sprays and rinse the tank out again. No, this isn't the end haha, you'll be fine. So have you finally decided on what to do with stock? It could've been said earlier but I kinda didm't look, sorry, just wanted to go ahead and type something. I'm sure Brookster has some nice plants waiting for you :)

Nils

Yeah I'm going to probably head out tomorrow and pick up some razors to get it off. Then wait for a nice day to do it, we're gonna get some sleet and snow in a day and it's going to be very cold all next week so I'll just wait to do it.
As of now I'm pretty much sold on a dwarf puffer for my stock.
And yeah he's got all the plants I'm planning on putting in the tank so he'll for sure be the first person I hit up for some.

Alright, sounds cool, we already had our share of sleet, snow and ice out here in the mountains of the East Side of the states. No school last week, this is going tone a hard Monday.....anyway, the puffer idea sounds good, I'd say 2, tops 3 in that size tank. If you can get them, a nice little crayfish would work fine in there. Look into Dwarf Mexican orange Crayfish, but there is also a blue variety that I have, but the care is exactly the same as the oranges. I'm sure that you've heard all this blah blah blah about dwarf puffers everywhere else already, but I'm not lying when I say they're a handful! When they seem lonely, and just hanging out near the filter intake, do a water change. When they swim against the glass up and down, they're bored and you better plan on a re-scape soon. When their colors are faded, you best look out for any signs of sickness. A quarantine would be best for the first couple weeks, because all puffers are wild caught and almost always cary parasites with them that can start acting ups couple years after you bought them. They are fun little fish, and you can play tag with them as long as you don't poke them too hard. I did that once with my puffer and a kebab stick, let me just tell you he wasn't too happy and wouldn't eat from my hand or look at me for a couple days lol! I could keep on talking the whole day, but they're cool little fishy buddies!

Nils

Back
Top Bottom