Finally...high-tech fluval build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, sounds cool, we already had our share of sleet, snow and ice out here in the mountains of the East Side of the states. No school last week, this is going tone a hard Monday.....anyway, the puffer idea sounds good, I'd say 2, tops 3 in that size tank. If you can get them, a nice little crayfish would work fine in there. Look into Dwarf Mexican orange Crayfish, but there is also a blue variety that I have, but the care is exactly the same as the oranges. I'm sure that you've heard all this blah blah blah about dwarf puffers everywhere else already, but I'm not lying when I say they're a handful! When they seem lonely, and just hanging out near the filter intake, do a water change. When they swim against the glass up and down, they're bored and you better plan on a re-scape soon. When their colors are faded, you best look out for any signs of sickness. A quarantine would be best for the first couple weeks, because all puffers are wild caught and almost always cary parasites with them that can start acting ups couple years after you bought them. They are fun little fish, and you can play tag with them as long as you don't poke them too hard. I did that once with my puffer and a kebab stick, let me just tell you he wasn't too happy and wouldn't eat from my hand or look at me for a couple days lol! I could keep on talking the whole day, but they're cool little fishy buddies!

Nils

Thanks for the info Nils! I don't have a qt and can't set one up but I can maybe work something out with my LFS. I was looking at the dwarf craWfish and may look into them a little more than I previously had.

Following Sounds awesome!

Thanks mike! I've got high hopes for this tank. This is going in the living room so my parents are riding on the fact it'll look good.
Hopefully it'll come together nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I completely understand you, my parents wouldn't let me set up a quarantine either for my fish, but my puffer is doing fine even without a quarantine, but he may have a parasite that will start acting up soon, but it's impossible to tell. If you have a good, quality LFS they could probably hold the fish in a sectioned off portion of their aquariums, and they could probably even do it for free. If you do end up going the dwarf crayfish route, I'd say only one for that tank. I and 3 in a 10 gallon and lets just say this, the next day me and my mom had to send $80 on 2 2.5 gallons so that only one could remain in the 10...lol. They are quite expensive, and you wouldn't want to lose them soon, and that's why water quality is important. Your LFS could probably order them in for you too.

Nils

Phew, got all the overspray off, inside and out.
Came off easily but my paranoia kinda kicked in and I got darn near every speck off lol.
A couple nanometer spots in like two places shouldn't hurt anything.

Well, better safe than sorry right? Can't wait to finally see some pictures up, if you can get them.

Nils

Here's a shot of the tank with the light; also the back wall is black it ain't just your eyes lol.
Then there's a pic of the rocks that are going in the tank.

*edit* there now rocks*

Looks great! Lol, that awkward pose we have to get in to take pictures!! Those rocks look cool too, can't wait to see her all put together with plants and fish! I think the dwarf puffs are really cool, I enjoy mine a lot. Another option would be a couple scarlet badis and some nice shrimp, but I don't know if you would want to do that.

Nils

Looks great! Lol, that awkward pose we have to get in to take pictures!! Those rocks look cool too, can't wait to see her all put together with plants and fish! I think the dwarf puffs are really cool, I enjoy mine a lot. Another option would be a couple scarlet badis and some nice shrimp, but I don't know if you would want to do that.

Nils

Eh, I like em but I like them puffers!
And yeah I had to do that to get an even pic. There was probably an easier way but hey.

Looking great! I love the spec tanks. I had the spec 2 gallon back when I was keeping a beta. The filtration id nice. Someone makes a media basket upgrade for it also.

Looking great! I love the spec tanks. I had the spec 2 gallon back when I was keeping a beta. The filtration id nice. Someone makes a media basket upgrade for it also.

Yeah it's a pretty nice tank, I mean I wish I would've known about rimless when I bought it but with the dinky plastic top off it don't look half bad!
With the filter I took out the bulky sponge thing, cut it up, and am going to put some bio ball things (I've already got a lot soaking in my 60 gallons filter so I'll be cycled in like a day lol) and some filter floss in it.

Diffuser and dc got in today! It was a very pleasant surprise because amazons estimated delivery was April 2 and I ordered it Feb 17 or so.
Great lookin things, they're really cool in person lol.
I still don't understand why an ADA diffuser the same size as this is $120 something compared to $23. They appear virtually identical besides airline receptor tube size and overall length. And people tell me you can't have overpriced name brand equipment with aquariums.
Soccer season also started this weekend (but all our games were cancelled) so the rest should start ordering soon! Very little left.

Very cool! I have no idea about Co2 though so you'll have to ask other people about that one. Puffs will love it. Are you going to do any other critters except for the puffs? You could probably do a couple shrimp as well. Maybe. As for cycling, I would take the water from a water change that you'll probably be doing soon anyway and dumping that in there, then add the seeded bioballs and let it run for a few days. I did that with my 16 gallon, except used new water, and I was cycled in 7 days! I know water doesn't really add that much to the cycle, but I guess it's better to have aged water than completely new water.

Nils

Diffuser and dc got in today! It was a very pleasant surprise because amazons estimated delivery was April 2 and I ordered it Feb 17 or so.
Great lookin things, they're really cool in person lol.
I still don't understand why an ADA diffuser the same size as this is $120 something compared to $23. They appear virtually identical besides airline receptor tube size and overall length. And people tell me you can't have overpriced name brand equipment with aquariums.
Soccer season also started this weekend (but all our games were cancelled) so the rest should start ordering soon! Very little left.

ADA products are generally better quality than the cheaper knock offs. Essentially though you pay for the brand with ADA

ADA products are generally better quality than the cheaper knock offs. Essentially though you pay for the brand with ADA

Interesting! Thanks for stopping by and sheddin some light on that!

Any other questions? Can you update us on what you're doing right now? I really can't wait to finally see this tank up and running!!

Nils

Any other questions? Can you update us on what you're doing right now? I really can't wait to finally see this tank up and running!!

Nils

Failing my recertification test lol. I really have no updates and won't likely for a while; I do only have like 4 things left one of them is pricey so it may take some time to build up funds.
And thanks I really want to get this started too!

Lol sorry about the test! Are you doing just the puff or also throwing an invertebrate int here too?

Nils

Lol sorry about the test! Are you doing just the puff or also throwing an invertebrate int here too?

Nils

I honestly have pushed this build to the back of my priorities right now. Starting lots of stuff this week not fish related so I won't have time to retake the test and also starting drivers ed.
But I do like the idea of some puffs and possibly an invert(?).

I know what you mean. I suggest a small crayfish, nothing over 2 inches, but you probably can't do any shrimp because I've seen videos where puffers work in group to pick the legs off of ghost shrimp and then eat it. So probably a dwarf cray of some sort.

Nils

Just an update- the build has been delayed until further notice. Sadly my Kroger job didn't go as planned and now I've got to go around looking again... Money is scarce especially after I quit my ref job so I had to put it off until I can rack up some more $$$$$
Also, I have decided to save me the time and invest in a ph controller. Going high tech I'll be dosing ferts and stuff (something I did not consider before hand) so that'll be at least one thing I won't have to worry about!
I have also re-opened the idea of a school of chilis or scarlet badis. The parents are non too happy about the tank going where it is (middle of the living room) and one fish might not cut it; no matter how much personality they pack.

Just an update- the build has been delayed until further notice. Sadly my Kroger job didn't go as planned and now I've got to go around looking again... Money is scarce especially after I quit my ref job so I had to put it off until I can rack up some more $$$$$
Also, I have decided to save me the time and invest in a ph controller. Going high tech I'll be dosing ferts and stuff (something I did not consider before hand) so that'll be at least one thing I won't have to worry about!
I have also re-opened the idea of a school of chilis or scarlet badis. The parents are non too happy about the tank going where it is (middle of the living room) and one fish might not cut it; no matter how much personality they pack.

Dude, I am working at Kroger too, I know the struggle. I hope you get a new job soon, good luck man

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom