Finally: Uprading to 120g Reef - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your still having noise issues from the sump intake try extending the pipes down to the water line or even just a bit under

Mike-words said:
If your still having noise issues from the sump intake try extending the pipes down to the water line or even just a bit under

Yes, did that but it's bubbly like a jacuzzi :(

If you used flexible lines to drop into the sump try to split them like you would peel a banana I was told to do that with mine but I never did I was to help with noise / bubbles if their was an issue

Mike-words said:
If you used flexible lines to drop into the sump try to split them like you would peel a banana I was told to do that with mine but I never did I was to help with noise / bubbles if their was an issue

Yes, using flexible lines. Haven't tried that trick yet but I may consider it if all fails LOL

Ok, so after playing around for hours I finally got it to quiet down!!! I had to change the end caps and adjust the air holes plus change the flow of the overflow pipes and take one pump out. Guess one mag7 is plenty for my tank (who would have guessed).
After adjusting and re-adjusting it finally got to the point were I like it :)

Also added carbon to the sump so maybe by tomorrow I can actualy see the wall behind the tank LOL

Added pics, I know it's ugly right now 

Attachments

• image-1081143914.jpg
    image-1081143914.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2879171929.jpg
    image-2879171929.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1377477950.jpg
    image-1377477950.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 174
It's looking good. Not ugly at all. I could only hope mine will look that well when I'm that far into it. I had that same haze. I don't think it's from anything like the sand. Look up my 75 build. Or I can post a link to the pics. I think it's the salt not 100% disolved. I let mine run and it cleared in 2 days. Like you I washed the sand until my water was almost clear.

coffeetwitch said:
It's looking good. Not ugly at all. I could only hope mine will look that well when I'm that far into it. I had that same haze. I don't think it's from anything like the sand. Look up my 75 build. Or I can post a link to the pics. I think it's the salt not 100% disolved. I let mine run and it cleared in 2 days. Like you I washed the sand until my water was almost clear.

Thx :) I'm trying... It's amazing seeing a finished product finally working as intended after > a month of planning and building. Will check out ur build of course

Tomorrow I'll check out ACE hardware store and see if I can find some 100% ammonia, really don't wanna put a fish into this unfinished brew LOL and the rotten shrimp just sounds disgusting to me

yes to the ammonia, after learning what i have, i wish i would have done a fish less cycle on all of my tanks. i envy your current set up and patience. you used all clean base rock right? where did you get it and how do you like it? it looks great in the pics....

post 47 shows how hazy my tank was and post 57 shows it clearing up. i havent posted a recent pic yet but its crystal clear now.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...twater-reef-with-fish-evolution-165050-5.html

Thx for the compliment :D
I'm very proud and so happy it's working now.

Yes, I'm using 100lb of base rock from reefcleaners.com. I think they did a great job with the stones!! I left room for life rock to be added over time and enough room for the LR from my current set up to go in there once it's "moving day".

Like your 75g tank, looks like you had alot of hard work with it

When is moving day? You said you where going to cycle your tank but won't it be ok sence your moving good cured cycled lr into this tank?

Depending on how the move goes he might get a mini cycle or a spike. I;ve moved a bunch of tanks and each time I get a small spike, lasting a day or to maybe 4 days like with my 125g.

:)

carey said:
Depending on how the move goes he might get a mini cycle or a spike. I;ve moved a bunch of tanks and each time I get a small spike, lasting a day or to maybe 4 days like with my 125g.

:)

It's SHE, Carey LOL I would have a terrible username for a guy ;b

But yes, I am expecting spikes while adding stuff... That's just part of the whole thing.

coffeetwitch said:
When is moving day? You said you where going to cycle your tank but won't it be ok sence your moving good cured cycled lr into this tank?

I will still wait a month. My LR from my 30g has corals on it that I can't take off. So I need to wait before I place them in an uncycled tank. Also, the amount of base rock will outweight the amout of LR. I want the tank stable enough to carry a decent enough bioload before I move. Wanna take it slow, expecting to be done cycling in about a month.

Oh I;m sorry, it's early and I just went with "he". lol. Sometimes I just cant tell with the usernames unless its stupidly easy to guess. hehe

What was everyone doing up at 6 ish this morning? Carey? Unicorn? I checked a few threads before I figured I was running late enough for work and both of you had posted.

And thanks for explaining the why your waiting. Makes since now. What's on the todo list for the next month? Just wait and test the water?

Better than fibbing all the time. I may avoid the truth but I dont flat out lie. it;s worked for about 40 years so I try to stick to it. LOL

carey said:
Oh I;m sorry, it's early and I just went with "he". lol. Sometimes I just cant tell with the usernames unless its stupidly easy to guess. hehe

Don't worry about it ;) Just thought it was funny. I usually say "he" too when I'm not sure, especially in this forum where it's mostly men... Or so I think o_O

coffeetwitch said:
What was everyone doing up at 6 ish this morning? Carey? Unicorn? I checked a few threads before I figured I was running late enough for work and both of you had posted.

Well, I work 7p-7a so seeing a message from me at 3 or 6am is not a rare thing happening. When I'm off work I usualy don't sleep well during the night and just wake up randomly. That's when I get out my phone and read up on stuff until I get tired enough to sleep some more... Story of my life

coffeetwitch said:
And thanks for explaining the why your waiting. Makes since now. What's on the todo list for the next month? Just wait and test the water?

Today I'm gonna install my ATO and am starting the Ammonia cycle. The next three nights I'll be working and starting Monday I have classes againg to keep me bussy. Between school, work, 2 dogs and a boyfriend I won't have much tine for anything else but water changes and checking the water. In actually glad I'm busy cuz just starting at an empty tank is gonna make me do stupid stuff to it >.<

Also, I'm glad the build finished cuz I wouldn't have had the time anymore if not to finish it.

Next week I will order the macro algea for the refugium

QUICK QUESTION: is it ok to leave the carbon in the sump when dosing ammonia? It shouldn't do anything to it, or does it?!

Ha yeah I used to work 36 hours at one job 6-6 then 40 hours at my "real" job 7-530. It turned me into a cranky zombie and gave me insomnia. I feel your pain not sleeping. Glad I'm done with all that.

What is an ATO? and stupid stuff to the tank? I can't leave well enough alone. So I've been told. I argue that's why we have them, gives a person something to tinker with.

About your ammonia... I wouldnt run it. there is no live stock, chemicals, or meds that need to be taken out of the water. I've read that curing lr makes a smell and I've read posts saying that if you want to run it then it's a matter of opinion. If u can live with it no need. If you can't, throw some in. You put it in to take the haze out right? It will clear up on it's own.
I don't know if any of that made sense. Oh and I've also read the carbon gets used up in a few weeks of use anyway.

Back
Top Bottom