Finrot Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue_ice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I've got two yellow sunset swordfish in my tank atm (old pic here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=75656&highlight=). Recently I've noticed that the top and bottom fins on one of them are actually kinda eroded, opaque and not moving. She seems to be having problems swimming, now that she only has two side fins functioning.

I've done a bit of searching and found that it seems to be a sign of finrot and it's contagious (sp?). My question is, how can I be sure that it is finrot as the other fish is perfectly fine. Is it possible that the erroded fin is caused by an attack from the other fish? Sometimes they chase each other in the tank but I can't be too sure that attacks happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Can you post your water parameters?
Can you post a picture of the affected fish?
What is your regular maintenance routine?
What is your regular feeding routine?

If you have good tap water in your area, a few extra PWCs will be a good first step. If the fin rot doesn't improve with clean water, then you may consider an antibiotic.

Would it be possible for you to QT the sick fish?

few extra PWCs
Great advice. Finrot is often caused by poor water conditions or at least worsened by it. Melafix and Pimafix will speed the healing process.

Livebearers are also prone to "clamped fins," fins held close to the body and more opaque. Hard to treat, but some people have luck with anti-fungal meds.

Back
Top Bottom