First Community Tank: Help Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smurphy90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, everyone! I recently got a 25 gallon tank from a friend who was moving and now that it's cycled, I'd like to start nailing down my stock.

The tanks dimensions are 80cm long, 30cm deep, and 40cm high.
I have a canister filter (JBL ChristalProfi 250).

I thought about stocking a small school (6-8) of each black phantom tetras and harlequin rasboras and 6 corys of some type.

Is this overstocked?
And in what order and amounts should I add fish to the tank?

Thanks!

you are not overstocked you could bump up the tetra schools a bit.

Agreed with Rivers. You could do 8 of each kind of fish and still have some breathing room.

Depending on if you're doing fishless or fish-in cycling; I would use a few rasboras for fish-in as they are quite hardy and then add 4 more once the tank cycles. Then after a few weeks, add the tetras all at once, and then the corydoras a few weeks after that.

If you do fishless cycling- add them all at once if you want.

Thanks! I just found out that I'm actually able to get a 45 gallon instead (90cm x 37cm x 50cm).

Would I be able to add a school of diamond tetra and/or a school of some top-dweller? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on top dwellers, other than hatchets?

I would say you could do 8 of each of the fish you mentioned plus a school of top dwellers. It might be good to go with less fish in each school just to play it safe though. Platys tend to stay in the upper water column and I like them a lot :)

You could have a small group of sparkling gouramis for top dwellers. Peaceful and very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom