First Large Fish Tank(Cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I came to this website when my favorite koi was sick. I never had realized all the things I was doing wrong with my fish. I have three ryukins at the moment in a 5gal tank which as I learned it waaaaaay too small for them. I'm investing in a larger fish tank right now. I'm hoping for a 37gal. I'd like to make sure there very happy and healthy and can grow as large as there suppost to get. Yes I know a 37Gal is a little small but its about all I can afford at the moment. I found it on Craigslist for 50$ its comes with a filter a lighted hood and gravel. I've read a lot on cycling new fish tanks but its kind of confusing. I want the do the best I can for these little guys but so far I'm just really confused. It said something about adding ammonia. All I know about ammonia is it gives my fish black burns if I don't change the water enough. So I'm kinda weary on adding this to my new fish tank. Can someone explain simply to me what I'm suppost to do. I'm worried I'm gonna mess this up and kill my lil guys. Also is there any type of items I should put in there that they would like? right now I have some rocks and a fake plant which they get stuck in sometimes....

3 Ryukins in a 5 five gallon tank! It's a wonder they're still alive. I don't mean to be rude, but a 39 gallon tank will be a LOT better. As for adding ammonia, are you doing fishless or fish in cycling? If you are cycling with fish in, do not add Ammonia. If not, read the rest of this post. I am in the process of cycling (fishless) my 26 gallon tank and someone told me to add ammonia to help my live plants, so i think that is what it is for. The reason being to provide ammonia for the plants that the fish can't give yet (Because they're not in yet :)) If you do not have any live plants, you shouldn't need to add ammonia. Sorry if this was a little confusing, but i hope it helps!

I am in the process of cycling (fishless) my 26 gallon tank and someone told me to add ammonia to help my live plants, so i think that is what it is for. The reason being to provide ammonia for the plants that the fish can't give yet (Because they're not in yet :)) If you do not have any live plants, you shouldn't need to add ammonia. Sorry if this was a little confusing, but i hope it helps!

Hi. Please read through the link I posted in my first reply, it'll give you a better understanding of the fishless cycling process.

I dont have enough money....I'm doing the best I can. I dont have the 200+ it would take me to buy a tank that size. I'm lucky I found this one. And there tiny ryukins. An inch and a half long at the most. I change the water a lot and test it often. I just want them to be happier =/ And I know you dont put amonia in a cycling process with fish. They'd get burns. I'm getting the tank sometime this week and I'm gonna cycle it as soon as I can.

Hi! I am glad you are upgrading their home!! After reading the above link, please ask any questions you may have & we will help! :)

The guide was definitly alot of good basic information. Although I'd already read it I reread it and noticed a few things I'd looked over. I read the guide on fishless cylcing and it makes alot more sence now. I dont have a water testing kit but as soon as I can I'm investing in one.

Thanks :) The guy just called my dad back and we're picking up there new home sunday! I'm exited! I cant wait to watch them grow :) As I get more money I'll probubly buy more stuff for my tank but at least they'll be in a healthy tank that can hold them :)

I agree with Jeta on a fish-in cycle as well- 3 ryukins in a 5g is 3 too many. Move your 5g filter (with all the old media) to the new tank and run it together with the new filter. A test kit will be a must have though for a fish-in cycle and will help you keep an eye on your ponds parameters as well (which really need to be checked, btw). Please ask if you have any questions!

I know but I read that in-tank cycling is mean for your fish. That it damages there little bodies. I dont wanna hurt them. I know its too small but I'm doing weekly water changes and testing there water often. I really want to do the fish-less cycling. I just ordered a water testing kit the master one you suggested along with a thermometer a new bubbler and a decoration for my moms fish tank. I mean....I have to add amonia and raise the temp really high dont I?

Two other questions. First I have a small sucker fish in my tank. Would he be okay to put in with the other two if I do decide the fish-in cycling process? Since its almsot a 40gal tank. Also do I really need a super high quality declorinator? I have well water and we have it tested yearly and its never had any problems besides its a tad acidic. I put tetra aqua aqua safe in it. I read ryukins are suppost to be agressive but he swims just along with them and even seems to chase and play with them. I'd really rather just have one tank running than two for one fish.

I read through it. It seems much better to me. So pretty much add one small fish per 10Gal do daily water tests and twice weekly or more water changes and when the amonia and nitrite levels go to zero and the nitrate levels rise your tank is cycled. Also add old filters and gravel and stuff. Can you tell me what levels of these are safe for my fish or will the kit I ordered tell me. its an api master freshwater test kit.

Miyavp said:
Two other questions. First I have a small sucker fish in my tank. Would he be okay to put in with the other two if I do decide the fish-in cycling process? Since its almsot a 40gal tank. Also do I really need a super high quality declorinator? I have well water and we have it tested yearly and its never had any problems besides its a tad acidic. I put tetra aqua aqua safe in it. I read ryukins are suppost to be agressive but he swims just along with them and even seems to chase and play with them. I'd really rather just have one tank running than two for one fish.

Hi there!
Would you be able to tell us what kind the sucker fish is? Or show us with a picture?
Most of the types are risky due to reports that they latched onto a goldfish to feed on its slime coat.

Oh...I've never seem him do that to my ryukins. Although I did see him do that to one of my commets I had in there for a week or so before I moved him into our pond. That would explain why he didnt like

Sorta like these
1292324332_126830061_2-spotted-sailfin-pelco-sucker-fish-for-sale-Kalyan-1292324332.jpg

2nhkas9.jpg

Or this, but he never sucks on the tank.....he just hides all the time. Sometimes when its dark he swims by the ryukins but if they get too close he gets scared and swims away to hide. Looks like he might be a Plecostomus Hypostomus I think.
sucker_fish.jpg

Assuming your water is neutral or a bit acidic, I'd just do wc when ammonia or nitrite rise above .50. Even then you are likely well within a safe range.

3 small goldfish in a 37 isn't going to produce a ton of ammonia so your water change routine will probably be sparse, possibly once or twice a week. Let the testing dictate the frequency though, to be safe.

Alright and I read the sucker fish usually only attack when alge is low. I read if you keep them happy and fed they wont snack on your goldfish, are alge waffers safe to feed them? is it safe for my ryukins to eat too?

Back
Top Bottom