first nano reef 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm pretty sure my snail just killed my hermit crab and tried to steal its shell is this normal

umm.. this is usually the opposite case

the star polyps look good, though if you do fish dont get a damsel, and i know ill be criticized for it but if you do a clown be careful to watch it and your water parameters, because things could go bad quite fast

as for lighting if you have the money you could look into this light(Mini Aqualight T5 Dual Lamp Fixture) and you could probably keep just about anything you want

quite daring for a first tank i must say, but good luck and i hope all turns out well! stick around and we'll try to help with any problems and ill definitely be following! :)

Ok would that lighting really be much better then the 20 watt cf I got now and any suggestions on what whould be a good fish for a tank this size then

Sent from my Droid desire using Aquarium

From an outsider point of view I would say no fish should go in a tank that size not just because of the quality of life for the fish but also as idream kind of said it will be difficult to maintain water parameters. Then again if I had the tank in my house I might throw a clown goby in there because I would not be able to help myself.

clown goby is good, idk if i already said it but a trimma goby and wheeler's shrimp are nice small species

and yes, that light would be much, MUCH better than what you have now

Ok test results for today are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrites 10 ph8.2 should I go ahead and do my first pwc

you put nitrites twice, though im assuming you meant the last one as nitrates, if so then yeah a nice sized PWC will be good

iDreamInSaltwater said:
you put nitrites twice, though im assuming you meant the last one as nitrates, if so then yeah a nice sized PWC will be good

Yea I meant to put nitrates so like 20% or more then that

do you have an aiptasia problem or something? if it were me i would give it a few more days just to be safe

No I was just looking into a invertebra of some sort since I'm not for sure if I'm even gonna end up putting a fish in here now I just have a nassarius snail and a red leg hermit that has been missing for a couple days so Idk if he's still alive my snail has been picking on him

Ok so I picked up a red mushroom yesterday and the lfs told me to stop by in a couple days and check out these umbrella mushroom that they are getting in so I went to today b4 work and needless to say I'm gonna go back tomorrow and get it lol also thinking about getting a finger leather while I'm there anyways my levels are now ph 8.4 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5 should I do another water change until my nitrates are 0 or wait? And what whould be a good invertabre bc I'm still undecided on a fish

Here's the red shroom and I'm thinking about getting a emerald crab bc I have a lil bit of bubble algae that I got as a hitchicker from the lfs :(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110224_012801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110224_012801.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 173
nice looking mushroom, but they emeralds are hit or miss with bubble algae. try to manually remove it without popping them.

peppermint would be a good starter invert though, mines pretty friendly when i get my hands in the tank

Ok I have been trying to do that but there's a bunch of little one in holes on the rock that I can't get and they keep coming back

According to your first post you started this tank 10 days ago. Right now you shouldnt be adding any livestock. Your tank is still cycling if you have nitrates. Before you add anything more I would wait at least 2-3 more weeks. The tank is not stable and the beneficial bacteria has probably just started to get going. The mushroom coral should be fine but again I would hold off until you have stable water parameters for a few weeks. Meaning no spikes. You could do weekly 10% water changes to improve the water quality during this time. But the key to a healthy aquarium is time.

Ok I also add my lr from an established tank I went threw a mini cycle I've been at 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrites for 4 days and had only the lil nitrates so I'm doing a pwc to get rid of that

So I'm still debating about keeping this invert only or getting a single fish ppl have recommended a clown goby I'd like a firefish would this do ok its really the only small goby I can find locally

Back
Top Bottom