First Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea what's wrong with my cardinals? This problem has now affected 3 of them. Their bellies/backs turn white and they just drift around with the current unable to decide where they're going.

Not a great picture but you can really see the large white patch on the back. This fish is stuck to the bottom intake of my overflow box.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_173920.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_173920.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 175
rcherry said:
Not a great picture but you can really see the large white patch on the back. This fish is stuck to the bottom intake of my overflow box.

That looks like neon tetra disease. I have never dealt with it so I will let someone else help with the treatment.

Wow, I've never seen neon tetra disease in a cardinal before, they tend to be a whole lot hardier than neons. I would take them all back to the store and look for healthier stock elsewhere.

I've lost 3 fish in 3 days to this. Anything I can do or is it a genetic weakness? Bummer, I got the fish from a pretty big place here on long island.

It was a very rapid onset, the fish stopped swimming with the school and within 4 to 6 hours was unable to control his swimming. I'm going to give it another day or two, if any more show symptoms ill have to go back. I got them from a very large fish store on long island, I would hate to not be able to shop there.
Regardless, thanks so much for the help gillie

The rams have become very protective of that rock cave. They even tried fighting off my bristlenose.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110721_214013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_214013.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20110721_214033.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_214033.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20110721_214048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_214048.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 117
Not sure what to look for, but I don't see anything. Looks like some tiny tube a bit behind the anus? Does that make any sense? They are also digging a hole in the sand up front against the glass.

A good amount of flashing from the male, is that normal?

I'm getting started on co2 in the next week or two...any recommendations?

Yes! I used a 2 liter cola bottle, and a smaller one. Get yeast suger right (I heard molases helps too) and then find a way to fpdiffuse it in your tank. I havnt quite got that down, but I'm working on it. (Even without great diffusion in tank, I've noticed growth in plants this week

I was actually thinking of going with compressed co2, but thanks for the help. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, I think the DIY might not be effective enough or stable enough for the setup. How big is your tank? And how often do you need to refill the bottles?

rcherry said:
I was actually thinking of going with compressed co2, but thanks for the help. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, I think the DIY might not be effective enough or stable enough for the setup. How big is your tank? And how often do you need to refill the bottles?

I am not sure if you are looking for recommendations or not, but this http://www.eseasongear.com/milwaukeema957.html is the co2 regulator that I have and it works great. I also believe that most people on AA recommend this regulator. If you need any more help, please feel free to ask.

Wow that looks like a great deal thanks for the heads up. That comes with everything I need except the tank and a drop checker, right? Any idea on when that sale will end?

Back
Top Bottom