First SW Tank: Nano 24g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its like 42 bucks or something like that

I also hardly get any evaporation thru the week

When i first started my tank i did but my salinity levels went up but i was able to finally readjust my hood to fit properly and hardly have any evaporation thru the week when it comes time for a 5 g pwc

spoonman said:
You dont use saltwater for topoffs, do you?

Not for topoffs. The salt does not evaporate. If you add salt then you will make your water too salty. Use freshwater for topping off.

Bearchumjs said:
Not for topoffs. The salt does not evaporate. If you add salt then you will make your water too salty. Use freshwater for topping off.

Learned the hard way but fixed it :)

that is correct!!! good thing i learned before anything was added to the tank! since the issue was resolved my 3 hermits and 2 snails all have been very active and been in great health over the last week and i cant wait to add fish!

Sad news for me my buddy doesnt have anymore baby clowns i guess ill have to pay for some :( and i have decided to go reef! Will be purchasing my 1st coral wednesday!

that is what i was hopping to have help from you on what you had first and possibly help lead me in the right direction i want something flowy and toward the bottom of my tank i have a small piece of LR that i want to place it on

I always just go to the lfs and check out corals to see what ones I like then go home and look them up. But zoanthids, mushrooms, palys and stuff like that are always good to start with. Most soft corals or lps are fairly easy just make sure you do your research before buying. But for something flowy you could try green star polyps, they are said to be easy. I have a branching hammer that has always done really well, you could try something like that.

ok thank you i was looking at the branching coral! ima go make a thread with a pick of my tank and my light see what others say as well and thanks for the point in the direction

No problem, i'll subscribe to to your thread. But you should probably wait on branching corals. They are some of the hardest and most touchy

Ya i have decided after a long night of research to wait at least a week before getting a coral!

Ya its hard! I am very pleased with how my water is the sane as my lfs and he has some healthy tanks! 2-3 fish that i know are labeled as expert and like 10 clams

Update:

Hammer coral has 4 heads now, monti cap had at least doubled (I cannot believe how fast its growing!), and favia seems to be growing real well. Decided I really want a duncan coral. Today I noticed a tiny chunk of hair algae and a tiny bubble algae but I think I know why they are showing up. I ran out of carbon a week ago but I think im gonna try some chemi pure elite next time im at the lfs, also noticed the air valve was turned all the way off on my skimmer for at least a week so it has been doing nothing. Fixed that so hopefully that'll get rid of algae because I have never had any before this happened.

Glad you are getting great coral growth, that is always a plus! Good luck combating your algae ;).

Back
Top Bottom