First Time Cycling Tank - Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Running tank for the first time.

I added my live rock thats been soaking (pumps/heater) in my basement for about 3 months, all 200 lbs of it is pretty much white now so I think its dead. Only one or two pieces have a VERY LITTLE purple on it. I added my Home Depot Sand and filled it up with the proper water.

My question is should I add the cocktail shrimps to start the cycle? I hope so cause I throw in 6 small ones in my sump before I left for work today. 180 gal tank, 40 gal sump/refuge. I added the rock/sand/water last night.

Thank You.

What do you mean by "soaking" the rock? Did you cure it? If you have uncured rock, you can cycle with it, also. If not, the shrimp method works good. Start checking for ammonia soon, then nitrites, then nitrates.

By soaking I assume he got it from somewhere and wanted to retain some measure of the life on it until he got the tank installed?
Hum.. that's what I had planned on doing with a large quantity of rock I plan on getting from a friend soon.
If most of the stuff on the rock has died off due to lack of light n nutrient, then I would imagine it'd kick in the cycle fairly quick.
Adding the shrimp can never hurt, just keep testing your water and you'll see the spikes occur.
Good luck!

AndyH5512 said:
What do you mean by "soaking" the rock? Did you cure it? If you have uncured rock, you can cycle with it, also. If not, the shrimp method works good. Start checking for ammonia soon, then nitrites, then nitrates.
The rock came with the tank but it took me 3 months to rebuild the setup. The rock was originally cured from previous owner. I had it in my basement in a large trash can with pumps, heaters and added water every once an a while as it evaporated. But for some reason when I pulled the rock out it was white in color with no more purples or signs of life/bacteria. Only a couple little spots.

There might be enough for the cycle but I dought. If there was would the shrimp I added do much harm? And when Should I take them out?

The coraline needs light to survive/thrive.

From what I understand it goes dormant to some extent, so with the proper lighting and water etc it should come back in the long run.

(I guess it has spores or something? not sure exactly on that point)

You could also buy a couple small uncured chunks to toss in with it and help seed the rock you've been keeping to help 'hurry' the grow back.

I haven't used the shrimp to cycle (I will probably get flamed for that), but I believe that you take them out when your water levels even out. I know there is a link floating around somewhere on here, maybe someone has it and can send it to you.

The coralline will come back, as long as your water parameters are in check.

Back
Top Bottom