First time rainwater filled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CArlina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a typical tropical water tank at a friends on tank water and was wondering if i have done the right thing.

I did a pH test and it was 7.3 so i added about 1/3 tsp of down.
The filter is heavy duty and has been on for 24 hours
There is a heater that i have just turned on.
I added 5 tbls of salt to harden that water and then some clearwater agent (tank water is murky)

What else to do before fish?
did i do something wrong?

its a 100L tank

CArlina said:
I set up a typical tropical water tank at a friends on tank water and was wondering if i have done the right thing.

I did a pH test and it was 7.3 so i added about 1/3 tsp of down.
The filter is heavy duty and has been on for 24 hours
There is a heater that i have just turned on.
I added 5 tbls of salt to harden that water and then some clearwater agent (tank water is murky)

What else to do before fish?
did i do something wrong?

its a 100L tank

Hi!
Rain water doesn't contain any minerals/buffers needed for a stable pH, healthy fish and plants and bacteria. You will need to add a product to replace the minerals. Kent's RO rite or seachem replenish are two I know of. If town/tap water is available if advise using it and a dechlorinator instead. pH chemicals are not needed. They can do more harm than good. A stable pH is better than a chemically altered one that can fluctuate. Most fish can adapt fine to a different pH. The salt will do nothing about the hardness of the water. Fresh water tanks do NOT need salt.
How are you planning to cycle the tank?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this. ^^^

Why would you try and drop the ph because it's 7.3? What ph are you trying to achieve? and chemicals to change it are never a good idea.

If the tank has only been running for 24 hours, you have a while to go before you can add fish. Your looking at over a month, pushing 2. Read that link that mumma.of.two posted, it's too much for us to explain thoroughly.

Don't bother with salt unless you have sick fish. It does nothing else but assist with healing in freshwater.
You're also wasting your money using clarifier products during the cycle, it will only get worse, until you have BB built up in the filter after that month or so. Once your filter is established, it will clear the water naturally.

Back
Top Bottom