First time setting up a fish tank D: help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! SO its my first real fish tank, at the moment i have a small 2 litre tank for my fighting fish he was a present from my bf :p because i got fish crazy one day....
Anyway i am moving him to a 32 litre and have already washed the gravel, fillied it up with water, added a heater, themometer, plants and also put in the Stress coat and stress zyme. My aquarium already has a sponge filter and also it has lights... it also came with activated carbon (i soaked these to get rid of dust) and... i forgot what their called >< the white rings

Its been ...3days since i filled it up when is it okay to put Taco in? (my fighting fish) When i first got him i put him in the small tank basicly straight away is it the same with a bigger fish tank?

Also any amazing advice would be great :fish2:

Thanks in advance for helping!

No, it's not okay.

You need to cycle the tank first. Please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Typically, a tank takes 4-6 weeks to cycle. You will have to do daily 50% water changes in that small tank that he's in.

Also, in your future posts, could you please use a larger font? I found it really hard to read your post. I wouldn't want to miss anything. Welcome to the forum! ;)

Fish-In cycling is OKAY don't let people tell you otherwise. Depending on the size of the betta a 32L tank (8.5ish US gallons). So long as you keep up water changes, you don't have to be completely religious about it, but 30-50% every 1-3 days your betta will remain perfectly healthy.

I agree as long as you choose a hardy fish them fish in cycles are fine. Zebra danios are one of the best for this which is what I used but a betta is ideal too.

if you are moving everything from the small tank to the larger tank you can just move your filter media with you and then your tank should be fine. is your 2L cycled?

LyndaB said:
No, it's not okay.

You need to cycle the tank first. Please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Typically, a tank takes 4-6 weeks to cycle. You will have to do daily 50% water changes in that small tank that he's in.

Also, in your future posts, could you please use a larger font? I found it really hard to read your post. I wouldn't want to miss anything. Welcome to the forum! ;)

Really?! I hope your not suggesting fishless cycling the tank while the fish sits in the 2L container.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

2L is VERY small. The sooner you can get him in the larger tank the better. Does he have a heater? Bettas/fighting fish like to be kept at 27*C.
I'd suggest moving him across and doing a fish in cycle in the larger tank. I'm assuming the 2L bowl doesn't have a filter?

Welcome btw! :)

Last edited:
Going to agree here with Mumma, that is a small place even for a betta. Fish in-cycle is best bet, and your going to have a very very happy fish. :) Good Luck! And have to add I like the font :p

What all did you have in the other tank? If it had gravel, a filter, decorations, etc- I'd just put the gravel in a mesh sack and set it in your new tank with te old decoration(s) and filter (if you had one) and then take it out in a month. Your tank might already be cycled if you just move your stuff over- its not like you added any fish/bio-load. If you didn't- then you're starting from scratch. But that info would be helpful. What was in the old tank? :)

Really?! I hope your not suggesting fishless cycling the tank while the fish sits in the 2L container.

No, if I was suggesting fishless, I would've posted that link. ;)

Thought I'd referred to moving the fish to the larger tank, but see that I didn't. Mea culpa.

I personally think you could add him if you used Tetra SafeStart. That is my opinion, and I did this successfully whilst having fish in the aquarium. I am not sure that the treatment that is in there already is that reliable for keeping your fish not only alive but healthy and happy during the cycle.

You can do fish in cycling safely if you use Tetra Safe Start. This was recomended to me for a fish in cycle. It contains live aquatic bacteria which when it has a source of ammonia will multiply. This process with Tetra Safestart typically takes around 2 weeks, but you can safely add fish whilst using this.

You shouldn't do Water changes during this cycle (until day 10 - 14) until the tank is cycled.

Some people may disagree with me, but this seems to be the most successful live bacteria in a bottle. It dosen't work for everyone, but it seems it does for the majority :)

Ideally, you should add the fish before the TSS, so that the ammonia produced by the fish has an oppitunity to rise slightly in order to feed the bacteria. If this is done the other way around, you can kill off the bacteria because it will have nothing to eat.

Hope this helps :)

You don't need any cycling products. The bacteria is free all around us. Personally I disagree that you shouldn't do water changes in the first 2 weeks. That is endangering your fishes lives. What happens if you get an ammonia spike high enough to kill them?

The best way I know to fish in cycle a tank (without seeded media) is to heavily plant the tank with fast growing stem plants like elodea, hygro, hornwort, etc. Water changes are still needed but not as much as a fish in cycle without the plants.

Woah! sorry guys i havent replyed yet (my internet is really screwed atm), thank you for all your advice :)

lynda - ill make sure to choose bigger font :)

HeatherW- I havent put any of the old stuff into the new aquarium... should i put all the gravel from my small tank into the larger tank? would this help build the cycle...iv had my betta in the 2ltr for about 3months now

Heres a photo of the two tanks.. also iv set the temprature at 29c i read that an ideal temp is 28-30 do you think 29 is okay? and should i buy a test kit to see if my water if safe? its been cycling fishless for 5days now.. when should i do the 30% water change? im thinking of adding my betta in tomorrow

Woah! sorry guys i havent replyed yet (my internet is really screwed atm), thank you for all your advice :)

lynda - ill make sure to choose bigger font :)

HeatherW- I havent put any of the old stuff into the new aquarium... should i put all the gravel from my small tank into the larger tank? would this help build the cycle...iv had my betta in the 2ltr for about 3months now

Heres a photo of the two tanks.. also iv set the temprature at 29c i read that an ideal temp is 28-30 do you think 29 is okay? and should i buy a test kit to see if my water if safe? its been cycling fishless for 5days now.. when should i do the 30% water change? im thinking of adding my betta in tomorrow

picture wouldn't load :confused:
yes, if you move all your old stuff into the new aquarium it will help build your cycle - every little bit helps! yes, I definitely think you should buy the liquid API master test kit! it will make this all so much easier!
you need to test your water and follow the guide for doing a fish in cycle. I will try and post the link, but if not read all the "stickies" for this section. it will explain everything you need to know!
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

PaulieD - are you adding an ammonia source? You can not fishless cycle without one. IMO (in my opinion) you should add your Betta now to the new tank and fish-in cycle the tank. The guide is linked above.

Hey yea sorry the forum kept logging me out and wont let me upload a picture atm :( i brought a ph test kit and the water is at 7.6 is that okay for a betta?
I added in 3 rocks from my small aquarium (fairly medum rocks) well it looks like 7.6..

Back
Top Bottom