First time Uv sterilzer q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im gettin a uv soon to kill off suspended algea (and hopefully a phosban reactor too, but thats later) and i have a 30 gal tank. I want to kill of the algea quickly so the lfs told me to keep the uv on high, but didnt know what the gph of flow should be. Also, my tank stays at 80 - 81 degrees with the heater on, and 74 - 76 with it off. Will I have to remove the heater once i get the sterlizer?

thanx
-Trent

You need to read up on them and see if thats what you really need. How bad can the algae be. What type of water are you using.
Like rob says what brand and size, some brands say a 9 watt will work on a 30 others may say a 15 is needed.
The brand also will tell you what the flow rate should be, some may say 80 GPh others may say 200 GPH. So no one can give you an answer with out knowing what brand and wattage your getting. LFS saying keep it on high sounds like they are not sure what to say. If you run them to fast they will not work.
Find out what kind and do a google search on them and read up before you get one.
Also if your having algae issues them a PB reactor may be what you want to get first.

yes, it is a turbo twist, so it will work for 30, but i was confused as to the issue that is you set it to low flow (for parasites) at 75 gph, will that also work for my serious suspended algea problems.

Back
Top Bottom