First timer from Memphis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I read several posts/threads in this site AFTER i purchased my tank, so I already know that in some mind's I am a fish sadist. I purchased a starter 5 gallon tank for more of a decorative piece for my office. My original thought was a Betta with maybe 2 or 3 guppies and a ghost crab. Looks like that may be a bit much judging from several of the opinions I've read. I'll keep reading to see what can give me the most attractive tank without creating health/compatibility problems for the fish. I haven't bought any yet, so no mistakes there.

I've had a 5 gallon, and sadly there isn't much you can do with it. You can get 3 guppies, which are colorful and hardy, or 5 neon tetras (although it's recommended they have more room)

I suggest a Betta. I wouldn't put neons in something to small. I don't think guppies will work either, though someone may know better.

You could maybe add a snail or two in with the betta. I'm not very familiar with them but I see the suggestion all the time.

What are the dimensions of the tank? You could do a school of 6 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. If you'd prefer a betta you can try it with a snail and/or some shrimp but some bettas won't tolerate tank mates (a betta + guppies are generally not a good idea and in a 5 gal it wouldn't work anyway). I have a male betta alone in a 5 gal and he's sometimes more interesting to watch than my community tank.

librarygirl is right, a beta and a snail might be the way to go. Betas can be very interesting and I had a snail who was hilarious. He would climb up some of my artificial plants and jump off. I watched the snail more than the fish in the tank. As for tamtam's post, I've had guppies in my 5 gallon numerous times and they have done fine, so if you want guppies you could probably have some.

Back
Top Bottom