Fish acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He will swim around at the top of the tank then when he tries to go swim Lower in the water his back fin keeps him from doing that. He will go verticly and try to swim lower in the tank but like I said his lower half of his body won't let him.

Seconded sounds like swim bladder disease. You can try to feed a piece of a cooked shelled pea, because that can help relieve constipation which sometimes causes swim bladder problems. There are many causes to swim bladder disease though that you can't necessarily treat. Regardless, your fish do need a bigger tank. If you want to keep all the fish you have they really need a 20 gallon long (long because the rubber lipped pleco will get 5 inches). Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale right now.
Here is a link where you can read about starting a tank and cycling it (the nitrogen cycle). http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
To keep your fish healthy it's important to know about the nitrogen cycle and your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

Hi Julie-
First of all, welcome to the forum. :)
I'd also like to wish you luck in treating your molly. I hope he'll make a full and speedy recovery.
I just wanted to note that the above posters were in no way attacking you or trying to make you feel bad. They are simply trying to help you and your fish, and have only intentions of giving you good and sound advice.
I know you feel that your stocking is fine, but it really would be best to adjust it. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.
For example, your dwarf gourami is in a tank that is much too small. It'd be like putting you in a closet for your entire life and expecting you to be happy. It would be strongly advisable to either rehome him or get him a bigger tank. He won't be happy in his current tank, and I know you love your fish and want them to be happy, so please try to adjust something for his sake.
In addition, your tank is overstocked. If you don't believe me, look on aquadvisor.com and see what it tell you. This means that the nitrogen cycle (if this is unfamiliar to you please research it, I know when I was new I had no clue about it) can't work properly. If beneficial bacteria can't keep pace with all the waste your fish produce (through respiration, uneaten food, and pooping), then the ammonia builds up to toxic levels that weakens their immune system, stresses them out, and shortens their lives. This is undoubtedly what caused your molly's swim bladder. Unless you change your stocking, you'll continue to have sick fish that don't live very long. An even more frightening fact is because you don't have a testing kit, ammonia and nitrite could be through the roof and you wouldn't know it. Please make getting a testing kit your first priority.
If you want to keep these fish, please upgrade your tank. Otherwise, you should take them back to the LFS or give them away. And just because the LFS said that your stocking was fine or they had similarly stocked tanks doesn't mean they're right. No LFS is perfect or infallible, they mess up and make mistakes with stocking and advice often. Remember that they're trying to make a profit and some of them really don't care if they give you incorrect advice as long as it makes them money. The key is to be knowledgeable enough to listen to their advice, realize it's incorrect, thank them for their time, and then follow what you know is correct. I have to do this all the time, but it's worth it because I have healthy fish in a correctly sized and stocked tank.
Know that I'm telling you all this to help you, not make you feel bad. I'm telling you this because I care about you and your fish, and I want you to have happy, healthy fish that are thriving. There's no need to get defensive or feel bad. Everyone makes mistakes, but it takes a strong person to admit that they made a mistake and correct it.
Best wishes,
DreaminginBlue

Back
Top Bottom