Fish Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 55 gallon pretty soon. My stocking ideas that are basically my dream stock are:

Polka-Dot Loach / Botia Kubotai (Temp: 75-82 deg, pH: 6.8-7.5)
Black Kuhli Loach / Pangio Kuhlii (Temp: 78-82 deg, pH: 6.2-6.8)
Cardinal Tetra / Paracheirodon axelrodi (Temp: 73-81 deg, pH: 5.5-7.5)
Gold Neon Tetra / Paracheirodon innesi (Temp: 68-74 deg, pH: 5,0-7.0)
Sailfin Pleco / Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps (Temp: 74-79 deg, pH: 6.5-7.4)

I see a common point in the pH (6.8), but the temperature doesn't have a common point. Anyone see a compromise on how I can make this work? Any experiences with extremities on "Paracheirodon innesi"?

I'm setting up a 55 gallon pretty soon. My stocking ideas that are basically my dream stock are:

Polka-Dot Loach / Botia Kubotai (Temp: 75-82 deg, pH: 6.8-7.5)
Black Kuhli Loach / Pangio Kuhlii (Temp: 78-82 deg, pH: 6.2-6.8)
Cardinal Tetra / Paracheirodon axelrodi (Temp: 73-81 deg, pH: 5.5-7.5)
Gold Neon Tetra / Paracheirodon innesi (Temp: 68-74 deg, pH: 5,0-7.0)
Sailfin Pleco / Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps (Temp: 74-79 deg, pH: 6.5-7.4)

I see a common point in the pH (6.8), but the temperature doesn't have a common point. Anyone see a compromise on how I can make this work? Any experiences with extremities on "Paracheirodon innesi"?

Dude (or dudet) 75 will be fine. That stock list looks fine except the sailfin pleco which will outgrow the tank.

Dude (or dudet) 75 will be fine. That stock list looks fine except the sailfin pleco which will outgrow the tank.

I'm aware of the pleco's size, I've already got him in my 20g, he's only 2-3 inches. That's why he's going to the 55g. I have places to re-home if I haven't upgraded by then. Thanks!

Cardinal, gold, and neon tetra's all have the same body shape which when kept together all look too much alike but with different colors. It's usually more pleasing to have a tank with fish that have different body shapes and color, same as you want to do in a planted tank. So were it me I'd do one of the 3 species above. Then consider Lemon or Diamond tetra's. Diamonds are my favorite with the sparkling scales and the fact that males dorsal fin keeps growing with age and become very long. I have 15 of these in my 220g. Just something to think about.

I'm aware of the pleco's size, I've already got him in my 20g, he's only 2-3 inches. That's why he's going to the 55g. I have places to re-home if I haven't upgraded by then. Thanks!

Very cool. Upgrade when needed and your stock should be good :)

Cardinal, gold, and neon tetra's all have the same body shape which when kept together all look too much alike but with different colors. It's usually more pleasing to have a tank with fish that have different body shapes and color, same as you want to do in a planted tank. So were it me I'd do one of the 3 species above. Then consider Lemon or Diamond tetra's. Diamonds are my favorite with the sparkling scales and the fact that males dorsal fin keeps growing with age and become very long. I have 15 of these in my 220g. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the input. I don't really like Lemon Tetras. I like the diamond tetras but from pictures they don't seem to show off the color as well as the cardinals. I've never seen any in real life nor a real high quality image, so I may switch out the cardinals for the diamonds eventually, or keep some of each, but the diamonds and cardinals have the same color so I think it would get on my nerves eventually (I'm slightly OCD). Also, your 220g sounds and looks beautiful, from both picture and text.

Diamonds look closer to gold tetras that turn silvery when not in the wild. In the wild they are gold due to the food they eat. Once in captivity they eventually turn silvery instead of gold. It's hard to get good pic's of Diamonds but they sparkle more like individual little diamonds, which is why they got the name. Plus those diamonds have different array of colors that glitter just like diamonds.

Cardinals are red and blue with a touch of white just like neons but neons have a broken red line whereas cardinals have a solid face to tail red line.

Diamonds look closer to gold tetras that turn silvery when not in the wild. In the wild they are gold due to the food they eat. Once in captivity they eventually turn silvery instead of gold. It's hard to get good pic's of Diamonds but they sparkle more like individual little diamonds, which is why they got the name. Plus those diamonds have different array of colors that glitter just like diamonds.

Cardinals are red and blue with a touch of white just like neons but neons have a broken red line whereas cardinals have a solid face to tail red line.

I see. I'll consider maybe switching out the gold tetras for something else in the future. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom