fish dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sum22

Aquarium Advice Freak
fish dilemma - keep them or give them away?

I have two glass catfish left over from when I started my tank in 2003. It is pushing 5 years that I have had them. They have been alone in my tank since all my zebra danios died last fall, they had been in the tank since I lost all my neon tetras to a NTD outbreak right after I'd finished cycling the tank.

Since there are the only two fish left, should I keep them and make the 850 mile move with them in the car. About a 12 hour drive, btw.

Or should I give them away?

At some point I plan to put my tank back together. The other negative is that I will be moving again in mid august, but this time, a shorter distance, of about 60 miles.

What would you do? I'm really torn, but it seems like a hassle for two fish.

Last edited:
I have never had fish for that long, so I really can't say exactly how I would feel, but just the 12 hour car ride sounds too much and then having to move again a month or two later. I think I would find a good home for them.

It would definately make your moves much easier if you can find a new home for your fish. The other benefit is you'll have a blank slate when setting up your aquarium again. The drawback is that you'll have to cycle your aquarium again if you let it sit unoccupied for awhile.

If you really like the fish and think that you'd get them again after the move it might be worth it to move them. It's definately possible and many people have moved their fish even longer distances.

If it was me, I would find them a new home and so be able to move and not be constantly worrying about trying to keep them alive throughout the entire drive. Plus once you arrive at your new location, you don't have to drop everything else in order to immediately start setting up some sort of temporary (or permanent) tank for them.

With no fish to worry about, you can probably just hold off on setting up your tank again until after the 2nd move in August. That gives you some time to maybe do a little planning on what you would like to do with your "new" tank, whether it's fish you haven't tried before, a different type of substrate or decorations, or whatever.

Thanks!

I have been thinking about setting up a larger tank. Say a 29-36g once I find a job. I would add the glass cats again, since I really like them. I'm pretty sure I'd be bummed if I killed them on the move considering they lived for so long.

Plus, I have a cat to worry about too. So trying to take care of the fish and the cat might be tough.

And definitely be sure to fill us in on what you decide to do with your new tank once you are all moved!

I figured I would add some of my experience with moving tanks. I moved a friends tank from Baltimore to Pittsburgh (5-6 hr drive). We bought a DC to AC converter, which gives you ac outlets in your car, and ran an airstone and a heater off it. Kept them in a bucket up on the floor in the front seat and they all survived. They sat in the moving truck for a while until we got the stand and tank unloaded.

Just thought I would throw that out there if you still want to keep your fish. Good luck on the moves! :)

I'm taking them over today, if all goes well it will be their new home. If not, I said I'd take them back and just move them. Kinda like a trial period.

Plus, I have no idea if I packed my converter or if it is out somewhere. I hope I wasn't stupid and packed it away in case I end up needing it. Eh no I looked and I packed it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom