Fish for hard water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My water is quite hard and it has a ph of 7.6+!
Im stocking a peaceful community low light planted tank. Are there good candidates for hard water? I've read over and over again that soft water/blackwater species will not do well in hard water. Doe that throw out tetras for me?! :(

Any experience?

Thaaaanks!!!!

gabysapha said:
My water is quite hard and it has a ph of 7.6+!
Im stocking a peaceful community low light planted tank. Are there good candidates for hard water? I've read over and over again that soft water/blackwater species will not do well in hard water. Doe that throw out tetras for me?! :(

Any experience?

Thaaaanks!!!!

I dont know the hardness of my water but my ph is 8.0... 8.2 I believe and I have rummynose tetras and angelfish and bolivian rams

The pH is fine, your fish, if properly acclimated will also be just fine. pH for most fish is the least concern, so long as it is stable. I have no water hardness, which caused my pH to crash abruptly, so I had to take steps to stabilize my pH, which is now at a steady 7.4 and I have green neon tetras that so far, appear to be quite content.

Stability is the key, the fish, if acclimated slowly, will adjust.

Ok thanks! Yes it stays really stable, thank goodness.

How do you like green neon tetras? I was thinking of getting some, but then I figured that they might not like my really hard water (calcium deposits on all the water fixtures!) if they are from soft water environments...???

I have 14 of them and still going, mind you, even having taken steps, my GH/KH is only 2* and my pH holds at 7.4. I'm really enjoying the little guys, I find myself counting them and laughing as they play follow the leader.

Back
Top Bottom