fish ID in question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokrface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This little fellow arrived in a shipment of Otocinclus, but he doesn't fit the mold. He is about 3 cm long and likes to school at mid-depth with my Harlequin Rasboras. Notice the adipose fin which is not a characteristic of Ottos, and his mouth seems to be in the wrong place to be an Otto.

I know the photo is poor, but he rarely is still long enough for me to snap. I'll try to get a better one if anyone is interested.

I think he might be a barb.

Any guesses?

Attachments

• whosit.jpg
    whosit.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 80
I can't quite tell for sure from the picture, but I believe it might be a corydorus pygmaeus ie Pygmy Cory.

he is indeed a corydoras pygmaeus. lovely little guys! they are schoolers, though, so see if you can find some buddies for him. some c. hastatus or c. habrosus would do as well :)

You guys are good

Wow! That was quick work. You guys are good! I agree with your assessment.

Anyone know where I can get some more?

Yep, thats a Corydoras pygmaeus. I suggest getting more of that species instead of the other dwarves. Cories do better with their own kind.

There are usually some for sale on Aquabid and they aren't terribly expensive, but shipping is killer right now because of the cold weather.

Check you local fish stores. If they don't carry them, they might could order them.

Yep, Dwarf cories are about an inch smaller.

Cory Examples
Green Cory
Emerald Cory
Bronze Cory

Dwarf Cory Examples
Albino Cory
Peppered Cory
Panda Cory

Actually in my experiance the Dwarf Cories are usually considered to be:

Corydoras Pygmaeus
Corydoras Hastatus
Corydoras Habrosus

These all max out at 1". There are some additional species that max out around 1.5" and are sometimes included, but generally aren't as readily available.

Habrosus are a tad bigger than the other 2 species, but not by much. Hastatus and Pygmaeus get right at 1". They are tiny little things and super cute. I know the hastatus and pygmaeus like to hang out in the middle area of the tank, while other Cory species usually stay on the bottom. They also are more comfortable in larger groups. Its fun to watch 11 C. hastatus swim around the tank. :D They like to hang out in my plants....reminds me of monkeys in trees. :D

Albino and Peppered Cories are actually 2 of the larger Cory species that get right at 3" full grown. Emerald Cories are actually Brochis splendens and can reach 3.5-4". Panda Cories are smaller, but not considered dwarves.

In my experience, Albino and Peppered are closer to 2" and Emerald & Green are 3". I was aware that they weren't really considered cories but I guess I always have considered them to be anyway.

Back
Top Bottom