fish in cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm doing a fish in cycle I guess...not by choice really but here's the downlow....I'm pretty new at this and advice is much appreciated. I did a 50% water change today and I just did the water tests,
Ammonia 5.0
Ph 7.6
I dont have a nitrite kit, they were out at the pet store
Nitrate its not quite 0 but not even close to the next reading

As far as the ammonia goes should I add an ammonia remover?
And I am currently putting melafix in the water for tattered fins(4 neon tetras)

What test kit are you using? Liquid or strips?

Whew, .5 is better than 5! No need for chemicals that can cause other problems. Just do a good sized water change -- 50% tonight and another tomorrow. Keep testing and do water changes when ammonia gets up over .25 . You might need to redose the med but it's better than having fish swimming in toxins and if their fins are already tattered the ammonia isn't going to help them heal. I'd get a nitrite test too as you'll probably be needing that soon. How long has the tank been set up with fish and what size tank and what fish are in there?

There's been fish in it for 2 1/2 weeks...its a 10 gallon just 4 neon tetras...and I plan on getting a nitrite test kit soon...I'm using the api water testing kits

I'm trying....I stopped researching stuff online because it was just too confusing...this forum is definitely more helpful...ill check out those links though...this is my first fish tank so I want to get this right

I also have 2 ghost shrimp if that makes a difference, they seem to be invincible

Back
Top Bottom