Fish in cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok. So here is a stupid question, I am sure you have all answered before.

Cycling a 29 gallon. 3 fish. 2 Kribensis and an albino brush nose Pleco. Going about 10 days.

Daily water tests. Been going normal, spike in ammonia, water change. Ammonia still up next day, another water change. Rinse repeat.

Water test yesterday, very slight increase in Nitrites, about .5ppm ammonia. Did a 25% WC.

Water test today. NitrItes- through the roof!!!! 75%WC. Immediately after WC, did another water test. NitrItes still through the roof.

Did I test too soon? Do I do another immediate WC? 75%

Fish are seemingly happy.

It's planted(a few), PH is high(but it always is due to my water supply at 7.6.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks good that your cycle is taking place. 10 days is sounding accurate to what you are seeing. You want your nitrites to turn into nitrates. That is the cycle. It seems like you are doing everything you can to keep the fish alive, but the tank is going through its cycle and it seems like it is well on its course.

You will know your tank is cycled when your tank turns the ammonia into nitrates in 24 hours. I would say you are halfway through the process if not a bit further. Maybe another 7 days or so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great. Thanks!!! That's what I thought. Just got concerned with the nitrItes staying so high after a big WC. Been doing WC each day. Today, upon testing I have sky high NitrItes, but also have high nitrAtes. So yeah, it's cycling right.

So doing a WC now and may do another tonight, just to get the NitrItes back to a more comfortable level.

Thanks for your help.

If you do a 75% water change than 75% of your nitrates should be removed. If that isn't happening something may be wrong.

The nitrAtes went down. But my nitrItes are literally off the charts. So it looks like lots if WC each day to keep them down.

I checked my tap water. No nitrItes. So it's the tank. Fish seemed happy today.

Gotta keep plugging along. Fish in cycling is always nerve wracking. I don't want them living in crud conditions.

is there a small fish store near you that would squeeze out a sponge froma cycled tank for you? you could be done with it in a couple days.

is there a small fish store near you that would squeeze out a sponge froma cycled tank for you? you could be done with it in a couple days.

That's a good idea. Could I just do that from one of my cycled tanks? Just squeeze water? Or should I cut some of a sponge filter and put it in this tanks filter?

Dang, now I feel super stupid. I got 3 very established healthy tanks.

oh man, you are all set. just snip a little bit of media from each of your 3 tanks and add it to the new tank's media. tank will be cycled in a day or two. you could also just squeeze out some media directly into your tank. either would work.

Make sure you are using PRIME as the water conditioner as it can block the harmful aspects of Ammonia and Nitrites for up to 24 hours. This is the best stuff for fish in cycling I have found. I hate nitrites btw, I am waiting on mine to drop and its taking literally forever.

So I took about a 1 cm thick 5x5 section of my filter media from my 55g. I placed it in my new tank. No change. It's been 48 hours. NitrItes still sky high, nitrAtes still high. Did a 75% WC today, will retest and WC tomorrow.

Did I do something wrong? I just placed the section in the tank. Does it have to be in the filter?

Yes, it needs to be in the filter or at the very least in an area of water flow but it will work much faster in the filter.

Ok. Should I get another section? Or just put this one in the filter. Right now it positioned in top of a rock under the filter. So it should have good water flow.

So things seem to be working now finally. At least, when I do a water change, the values come done.

After 2 big water changes today, my nitrites are finally at a safe level. My nitrates are also safe.

Fish are doing great. Eating, swimming, no loss. Thank goodness. Hopefully now that I have things under control, the rest of the cycle will continue.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Back
Top Bottom